Water damaged cabinets

The Base of my kitchen units have water damage which I need to repair. I was going to sand them to a smooth surface and paint them with an egg shell paint but I am worried that when I sand it will turn to dust and I have no idea what to seal it with. Can anyone advise?

Nicholas Ross

cut the section out and replace with new MDF

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is it melamine faced chipboard? Most are. Make up new panels, if you can't find them ready made. It's not expensive stuff. Once the water has got past the melamine and the unit damaged to the point it isn't OK after drying out, the only decent way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The picture shows something that looks like swollen MDF, possibly as tongue-and-groove.

Cut off the bottom inch or two, crosswise, and fit a more waterproof baseboard to cover the gap...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

skirting board there.

Reply to
newshound

Except that the marks on that end-panel look like a washing m/c or dishwasher is normally flush against it. This might explain the water leak that caused the damage. The width of skirting board might prvent the appliance fitting in the slot.

I would look inside the unit and see if the twist-n-turn fastenings can be undone and remove the entire end panel. Make up a replacment out of decent quality plywood and seal the bottom edges with a good solvent-based primer.

Reply to
Andrew

Good point. Completely agree with your repair strategy (although basic shuttering ply would do, with any cracks or knot holes filled before painting). Also, for a good time now, I've never used cabinets where the weight is taken on the side faces, I always use adjustable feet on the bottom "shelf". Only the kick boards need to touch the floor, and they are easily replaceable if damaged by flooding.

Reply to
newshound

They are f***ed. Hang a pair of kickers over them or replace them.

Reply to
ARW

Ronseal wet rot wood hardener??

This resin will soak into the swollen material and make it rock hard. Power tools will then be needed to sand it back.

The downside is it may be difficult to apply without getting it on the floor. The resin has the consistency thinner than water and some success my be achieved with using a small brush to apply small amounts at a time.

Reply to
alan_m

When that garbage swells it loses strength. It's not repairable. You can hide the damage, or cut it off & fit a new bottom strip of wood, or replace the whole panel.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have to say that I cut a bit out and used car body filler, sanded it and painted it. I think its going to outlast the rest of the unit. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff