Sods Law

Doing a 'quick' plumbing job on the way home today, had to dismantle a Speedfit elbow to get at another pipe. T'was under a bath.

Came to reassemble it, no 'O' ring to be found. Searched the entire bathroom with a torch and concluded that said 'O' ring had fallen down a hole in the floor.

Didn't have another fitting on the van, off to B&Q through terrible traffic (we have a Dickens Xmas festival going on),

New pushfit fitting purchased, back to the job and there in plain view is the missing bloody 'O' ring!

Sometimes I hate plumbing.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And they have the nerve to call it 'speed'-fit

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What do you mean? It's as "speed"-y as any other push-fit to "fit".

And if you do need to demount one they have the advantage over types such as Hep2O which you can unscrew but are then a PITA to remove the grab- ring to re-use, or require you to cut off and source a replacement grab- ring to re-use the fitting, and they beat hands down the types which require a proprietary demounting tool (different design for each make of fitting) which you (a) don't have when you come across a fitting you need to remove or (b) can't get into the fitting because it's too close to something else that blocks the demount tool.

As long as you don't lose the O-rings, of course, but I don't think that's (and I don't think TMH meant that as) a criticism of Speedfit's design. TBH with the greatest respect to TMH I'd expect someone in his position to have a small stock of Speedfit fittings in stock in his van, even if it's just stop-ends (which have O-rings one can scrounge for use in other fittings).

Reply to
John Stumbles

No, just Sods Law :-)

I don't really use Speedfit given the minor plumbibg jobs I do. I have got a few stop ends recycled from other jobs, but they don't unscrew, so I couldn't get the 'O' rings out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

TBH with the greatest respect to TMH I'd expect someone in his position

Now in my van door pocket sits the pushfit stop ends and the pipeslices just in case of emergencies.

I have damaged pipes on more than one occasion

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Next time, ring home, speak to Management, and she'll ask you where you had it last (the O ring, the O ring!)...

In message , ARWadsworth writes

You need to get drivel in ...

Reply to
geoff

You can pry out the collet bit, or break one up to get to the O-ring, rather than drive to the shops!

Reply to
YAPH

Not after he tried to fix my keyboard

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I apologise for the missing tag.

But walking into the merchant's and asking for some O's is such a good opportunity for hilarity...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Now he tells me :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You didn't ask ;-)

Reply to
YAPH

YAPH wibbled on Sunday 06 December 2009 23:00

And if he was a woman, that would have been your fault for not being telepathic!

;->

Reply to
Tim W