exterior insulation

I'm revisiting this subject, having previously decided it was too big a button to press, because this recent heavy rain has apparently caused some damp penetration on a upstairs room of my mother's house.

Sollid 9" brick wall, 1911 build and pesumably once all brick but since at least 1975 has had a "tyrolean" spattered cement render. I'm thinking it's this that has been breached and is holding moisture in.

I was wondering about knocking off the rendering and securing 50mm celotex on the top floor, battening over this and then tile hanging. This seems to address the ventilation problem and adds an impervious layer with insulation inside but have I missed some drawbacks?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

You could try a pliolite resin paint. This solved the problem on my troublesome gable end wall and, although somebody some time will probably have to hack off the render and start again, I'm hoping it won't be me. It's lasted 9 years, and is only now looking like it needs a touch-up. No damp penetration in that time, fingers crossed. I considered the tiling option but it would have been way out of keeping with the rest of the road, and I would have had to extend the roof tiles to accommodate the extra wall width.

Reply to
Stuart Noble