Snake Oil?

Too many variables, starting with the amount of calcium in the water that's supplied to your house. The end of the chain is your personal susceptibility to excess sodium.

The extra amount per day if you only drink treated water is probably less than I put on a portion of chips, but then I do like a few chips with the salt and vinegar.

Reducing overall sodium is a risk reduction strategy. Too little sodium is also harmful.

Reply to
John Williamson

Far too handwavy.

"Ciao" doesn't have a "T" in it.

Abyssinia,

Reply to
Tim Streater

So find out how much calcium is in *your* local supply, find out how susceptible *you* are to sodium-assisted hypertension, and work out how much sodium *you* get from other sources in your diet. There is no single one-size-fits-all answer.

The government recommend between 1500 and 2300 milligrams of sodium per day as the maximum, depending on your medical circumstances. That's equivalent to about 3 to 6 grams of salt. Minimum recommendation is well under a gram, unless you're sweating a lot, in which case you need rather more.

Deliberate mis-spelling in the .sig file. It's been like that for decade or more.

Reply to
John Williamson

Well, exactly.

That's useful, thanks. Now, I giggled for "amount of sodium in softened water" and looked at the first two or three results, which gave the amount of extra sodium (in mg/litre) for hard (10 grains per gallon - gpg) being 75 and extremely hard (30gpg, see Wikipedia article) being about 240. If I drank about a litre/day of softened water, that would add 150mg or so, I'd say. Only about 10% - not an issue in my judgement.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Its probably true.. but so does the human body and other materials. Without specifics of what these properties are and how they affect the water (or not!) it's irrelevant.

Reply to
dennis

However just because it can excrete the excess doesn't mean it isn't doing harm by having to excrete the excess. The human body can excrete many poisons but they still do harm.

Reply to
dennis

the advice used to be (I assume still is) that you should not drink water that has been softened because it has too much sodium since the calcium is replaced by sodium.

When I replumbed the house I ran three pipes everywhere (soft hot, soft cold, hard cold) but never got round to fitting the softener.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

snipped-for-privacy@d12g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...

So refer me to a well designed, double blind, peer reviewed study that shows incontrovertibly that excess salt causes high blood pressure.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d12g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...

Just let me Google thatfor you:-

John Williamson

Having only read as far as the abstract, I've already read "The mechanisms by which dietary salt increases arterial pressure are not fully understood" and "chronic exposure to a high-salt diet appears to be". In other words, they don't really know for sure.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d12g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...

So toss a coin and take your chance.

The full article shows in some detail that a statistically valid correlation between average levels of salt consumption above a gram a day and an average increase in blood pressure has been found, especially showing that chronically high salt consumption causes inceasing blood pressure with age. Just because they don't know the precise reasons, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The article, is, in turn, an abstract of the research that went into producing it, which can be viewed.

The "Executive Summary" that you might give to top level management is that increase in blood pressure with age, is, on average, proportionally linked to salt consumption over a gram per day.

It's just the first link I found to one of a number of studies, all showing similar results, with similar recommendations as to the prevention of the problems. Scientific American, New Scientist, Nature and a couple of French magazines I read have all printed articles with similar findings in the past. Maybe they're *all* wrong, though I'd doubt it.

Reply to
John Williamson

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d12g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...

I suspect there is just such..certainly the Asian community who traditionally eat a lot of salt due to their native climate, see predisposed.

Whether its a causality, a correlation or a coincidence, is less clear.

And certainly drugs that lower salt content dramatically reduce blood pressure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm still not convonced. unfortunately I can't find the article that first alerted me. It all goes back to some dodgy reesarch around the time of WWII that involved a population on a very strange/poor diet. There's certainly no concensus as far as I can tell.

I respect the writings of James Le Fanu who seems to agree with me. A quote "the journal Science has described as "the most vitriolic and surreal dispute in all of medicine". It's certainly one of the most long-lasting, with a clutch of blood pressure experts writing to The Lancet 20 years ago, complaining that the proponents of salt reduction were engaged in "an evangelical crusade" "

Then theer's the Journal of the American Medical Association's 1998 meta-analysis of 114 clinical trials that did not support a general recommendation to reduce salt intake.

I'm willing to concede that some people can be especially sensitive to salt, but there's is no basis for the over zealous nanny state preaching thatgoes on.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Correlation =/= causation

Though if I were prone to high blood pressure I'd adopt the precautionary principle. (Maybe it's connected with me not using a lot of salt that I'm not prone to high BP?)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Or you're not prone to it anyway. My BP is annoyingly normal (according to my doctor's expession every time it's checked) in spite of a high salt diet followed by a person who is rather larger than he ought to be.

My cholesterol's annoyingly normal, too, considering the amount of fat I haven't removed from my diet.

My brother, on the other hand, would have lethally high BP if he didn't take the tablets.

Reply to
John Williamson

Heck neither do I and mine was sky high.

'runs in the family' etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Tim Streater writes

No - Venetian, actually

Reply to
geoff

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d12g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...

Have you read 'Panic Nation'?

Damn good read IMO. ISBN 1-84454-271-8

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , harry writes

Activated carbon has an extremely large surface area and particles are adsorbed (note the spelling) onto the surface, it's not normally a reaction, carbon can be re-activated by heating

You'll get something right one of theses days, keep trying

And, filters normally contain a trace of silver, which has been known since roman times and prolly b4 to protect against "bugs"

Reply to
geoff

There can be few trades so infested with scam artists as water filters. A bunch of barrow boys selling standard products with a vast markup and ludicrous claims. Are any of these Darrens and Waynes making the product themselves? Having it made for them, to their particular specification? Or are they just drop-shipping what is now a fairly standard part...

Water filters are good. If you have a particulates problem, they're great. If you have a chlorine taste, they can help. However they're not magic and they're not softeners.

Reply to
Andy Dingley