Smoke alarms aren't always any good

Try lighting a smoke match. Then you will see what a LOT of smoke really looks like. They produce enough to show clearly which chimney serves a particular fireplace when you need to know.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

And the manufacturer of the alarms?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I wanted to know if the alarm operated when there was a small fire just starting, not when my house has burnt down!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

3.
Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

So what you are saying is that you kept the two most likely to give you a false alarm, and threw away the one that worked correctly...

Reply to
John Rumm

For which, as I said before, you need a fire detector, not a smoke detector.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

No, I kept the two that detect smoke properly like every alarm I've ever had. I'm talking about a hell of a lot of smoke to set the dodgy one off - enough smoke to almost obscure the smoke alarm from sight.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

As in detecting a sudden increase in heat?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I'm half wondering what this "fire detector" is as well. Rate of change of heat, absolute heat? Something else but not detecting combustion particulates (aka smoke)?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

He is a serial troll, so I feel quite justified in pointing out what he is asking for, whether it actually exists or not. However, a rate of heat rise detector is a fire detector that does not require the presence of smoke. I have also been told by someone I knew, who used to install hospital fire systems, that there are much more sophisticated systems than the rather primitive devices sold for household use that pick up combustion products from the very early stages of a fire, long before any smoke detector will be triggered.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

My smoke detectors will trigger with no visible smoke.

Reply to
dennis

Have you been using the induction hob again?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I asked a quite sensible question, stop being so childish.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Everybody has a nose.

Reply to
grimly4

Not everybody and even if they do (or don't) they might not have any sense of smell.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I bet you're fun at parties.

Reply to
grimly4

My dog hasn't.

Reply to
Mark

Go on, I'll let you have the punch line with this oldie:

How does he smell?

Reply to
Howard Neil

Neither has Voldemort.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Try hitting the wrap button "O" on Agent, not sure about Turnpike (which by the way is a rather simplistic pile of rubbish).

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott