Smoke alarm advice

The Scottish Government has introduced legislation requiring smoke and heat alarms to be interlinked:

I see it, this can either be done by hard wiring or wireless connection. Leaving aside cost and aesthetics for the moment, am I right in thinking that wireless might be the safer option in case the cables are damaged by the fire?

If I go for mains-powered units, could these be connected to the lighting circuit or should there be a dedicated circuit?

I assume a separate link cable(s) is needed (not a signal via the existing wiring). Should these be armoured to protect from fire :-)

Reply to
Scott

Is it likely the cables will be damaged before the first smoke alarm activates?

I'd rather trust a cable than a radio.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think that it would be a major fire that damaged the cables. AFAIK, though, wireless is standard. I fitted some battery powered ones to MIL's bungalow years ago, and they worked really well.

Yes, lighting circuit. They have back-up batteries in them, so they'll continue working if the power is out.

You may be over-thinking this. :)

Reply to
GB

I have mains powered smoke alarms. They have always triggered (deafeningly) in the presence of extremely modest amounts of smoke or steam.

I have no doubt that they would do so well before a real fire got into their cables.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How robust will a wireless system be if all properties around you fit the same or similar systems? I would hope it may be more robust than some wireless doorbell systems where if someone uses the same code then your chime sounds when someone else bell push is activated.

Reply to
alan_m

Are they interlinked?

Reply to
Scott

Arguably, if you live in a flat there would be logic in activating the alams in neighbouring flats (though the Scottish Governement says this is not a requirement).

Reply to
Scott

Put any non-maintained emergency lights on the same circuit as the alarms to make it "super obvious"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Definately not, in most low-rise buildings with reasonable fire compartmentation. The certainty of false or even malicious alarms from neighbours at 3 am.

If a whole building alarm is needed it needs to be a proper panel system, preferably with C-Tec hush/isolation buttons for each dwelling.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'd imagine the next rule will be your own personal fire engine in the garden. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Absolutely, if you've got the space for it!

Or if you live near Gordonstoun the local school can pop round

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I also attached a bulkhead emergency light to the circuit, halfway up the stairs. Useful in a power cut, and it's obvious when the circuit has tripped.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What I did ten years ago!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I also have a non-maintained emergency light in my hallway - originally a fluorescent tube type but replaced a few years back with a LED version. Although only 3 or 4W the light from the LEDs is enough to illuminate much of the rooms off the hallway in the event of power cut at night.

Reply to
alan_m

+1.

I tried (cheap) radio linked ones when I bought this house more than 30 years ago. They were pretty rubbish and I didn't try to keep them working. I just made sure there were plenty of basic battery ones scattered around.

Reply to
newshound