Smellng gas

I'm beginning to think I have an hyper-sensitive sense of smell, or at least I am more alert to it.

I am constantly reporting gas leaks and I always correct, they dig up the road or pavement soon after. I do a fair bit of walking around, so many more chance than most to notice. Unless the smell is very strong, I ignore the first time I smell it in a location. If I smell it again, the smell is strong I ring it in, maybe asking a passerby to confirm they can smell it as I did today.

This one was just outside a Chinese take-away, a rather good take-away as it happens. I was getting it at its strongest by a BT cabinet, or maybe at some manholes near the cabinet. I passed the same location a week ago and noticed it. Today I passed it twice, the second time the take-away were cooking, ready to open and the gas smell was swamped by the food smells, none the less when I got home I put a report in.

There were no signs of any sniffer holes having been drilled, so my guess is that despite it being quite a busy area, no one else had smelled it or if they had, had bothered to report it. I'll bet the footpath there is covered with sniffer holes tomorrow lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Smelling gas does not always mean a leak. It could be that the main has been replaced and a small amount of gas is left in the old pipe. It took about 6 months for the occasional smell of gas to stop happening round here when a new main was installed. It tended to happen after it had been raining.

Reply to
charles

The meter has probably been replaced by a piece of bicyle inner tube. Stealing gas is now an epidemic in some parts of the country.

They obviously don't realise that the suppliers have regular reports from their billing systems where usage suddenly drops for no obvious reason.

Reply to
Andrew