SmartTV (?) and YouTube oddity

Exactly, identifying an issue you cant fix anyway is academically interesting buit a bit pointless otherwise.

My own choice would be to acquire a gash old windws XP chassis stuff a decent video card in it and use that instead and build the functionality using the TV as a display, but for people who don't DIY their computer systems your solution makes more sense

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fair point ... but as this thread shows there are other ways to get content onto the screen ... TiVo, PC, Tablet, BR player ... that's before you get to a dedicated media player.

Also worth noting that most games consoles can load apps, so you can use an XBox or Playstation (like my lad does) to access Netflix, Amazon iPlayer, etc.

Hopefully it's only oldies like us that picture a "TV" as being display

*and* tuner ...
Reply to
Jethro_uk

To be fair, once you have digital telly, you need a computer to drive it, and some software on that computer and since its 100% certain that will be linux of some sort the actual cost of adding smartness is relatively low - a wifi or ethernet chipset and thats about it.

I would not mind betting a small amount that un future the telly will be simply an HDMI HD screen with sound, and you will buy a box that does the smartness. That runs upgradeable software.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like a driver issue. I don't know what operating system lg uses these days.Is it perhaps android based? Might also be a memory issue with some hi def videos. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Sony tried it years ago, but it didn't catch on.

Reply to
charles

Not while women have the final say in what adorns the living room :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Well it is a JVC !

Reply to
Andrew

Not then, but who knows?

I think it will be a one access box separate screen *maybe* and separate loudspeakers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what savvy consumers would like to see. But manufacturers would prefer TVs to become something that's changed every 2 or 3 years like mobile phones rather than every 10 years like 20th century dumb TVs.

So I don't see manufacturers spending time making things modular and upgradable unless there's regulations that require them to do this. If anything, I think manufacturers will make things more difficult to DIY with use of glue for the hardware and secure boot/anti jailbreaking for the software.

Reply to
Caecilius

You can do that now.

Just buy a large-ish 4K monitor (you aren't limited to =< 32inches) and run it from a PVR, or whatever.

Reply to
Andrew

You need to update the You Tube app on the TV.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Huh, my 1950s tv still works or did last time I used it.

Compared to a 9" B&W round screen it does :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I read yesterday that the way Youtube is delivering it's content is changing and that, for me, means I may not receive Youtube content in the future if I do not update my browser, Firefox(which is limited cos, XP64).

Over the months Firefox and, more so with Youtube content, has become an increasing clunky mess. A few days back I tried to enter a comment on a channel and while I could sign in and make the comment, it will not appear. Neither can I access my YT account. I get a blank drop-down menu. However, I can reach my YT account if I sign in through Google. Though I still cant make a comment.

I can change all that but, your TV? I think someone suggested a Firmware update to you?

On the page that was suggesting I update, I noticed there was icons and links showing varying devices of kinds. Just maybe there is something there for you?

...Ray

Reply to
RayL12

Try Opera GX browser, either x64 or x86

Reply to
me

Corrupt RAM ?

This site has some block diagrams for LG TV sets.

There's no particular reason there would be a RAM test in any TV menu. They have a "picture quality" test, but that might just be a static picture and not a movie.

I played the "Russell Howards "Hometime" part 2" video in FFMPEG, and it didn't throw any errors. I used Youtube-dl to get it, format 22 ("best").

67,247,540 bytes SHA1: 4834CBEEED58CB618006695502EE91B094144F0B

If the TV set plays videos off a USB2 stick, you might use youtube-dl to download the video, put it on a USB2 stick, and try playing that on the TV. To see if "mass storage playback" behaves differently than "streaming" playback over the network.

Paul

Reply to
Paul