Smart meters to be compulsary?

Also found it here:

Yup, I did have a look to see if the photo of the test setup would give any clues, but not obviously...

Reply to
John Rumm

Were... and the latter two were not typically installed in domestic settings.

Reply to
John Rumm

N.B. Members of the IET can access it at the Knowledge Centre at Savoy Place in London.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I signed up for a tariff which mandated a Smart Meter. I await a few quarters to give me an idea if there has been any impact. Meanwhile I have a display in the hall which includes a clock synchronised with the mobile network. So perhaps a very minor win.

Oh, and there was a possible very minor gas leak from the meter outside the house - small (but within tolerance) drop in gas pressure when tested before the meter swap. No drop afterwards.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

BG send someone from a 3rd party company to read my gas meter twice a year. It's the same bloke and I always shout out the reading from a window to him. It's been 2566 since 2003 :-).

He says he will stick a postit note on his dashboard with the reading in future and avoid the journey.

Reply to
Andrew

.. from people with electric cars :-)

Reply to
Andrew

on 01/11/2019, Andy Burns supposed :

Not actual readings, just consumption and when here. It was something I complained was missing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Given Flipper will change my suppliers if they find a better deal, are these smart meters now compatible with all?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

new ones are supposed to be, old ones are supposed to be upgradable now (unless you're with BG for some reason) but even if it goes dumb, you can still read the meter from the display yourself.

Reply to
Andy Burns

What's the make and model of the display please?

Reply to
Robin

Depends on how "huge" are the "hikes".

"Your money or your life" is /a/ choice (except the highwayman/footpad will get your money either way).

Reply to
Max Demian

They were installed in commercial locations. They were additionally charged for bad power factor which could be determined by the difference between Kwh and Kva.

Reply to
harry

You could be charged a rental fee for that meter.

Reply to
harry

They still are.

and possibly peak load as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, that can't be determined from these meters. Peak load was determined from separate ammeters with loose and fixed needles. The loose one was pushed by the fixed one to indicate max amps. Hot wire ammeter were used giving an approx delay of 20min.

Reply to
harry

Robin brought next idea :

'Secure' is the make, I cannot find a model.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Pipit?

Andy Burns

If it's a Pipit 500 I don't think it can display meter readings.

Reply to
Robin

Suppose that's what you get from a "generic" IHD, rather than one that's from the same manufacturer as the meters ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was not suggesting it can. You (rather pointlessly giving the topic of discussion) mentioned that commercial users could have kVA / kVAr metering - but did so in such as way as to imply this was historical. I was correcting this.

You correctly mention that commercial uses may have to pay more for low power factors. I simply added that some will also pay (at least partially) based on peak load. I made no suggestion as to how this was assessed or metered.

Some may also receive discounts or concessions if they agree to become part of the Demand Side Response market - basically agreeing increase, decrease, or time shift their electrical demand on the grid based on requests by the grid, to help them better manage varying loads and supplies.

Reply to
John Rumm