Smart meter(s) fitted today.

Did you get a display repeater for in the house viewing..? The guy that fitted my smart meter said it wouldn't work, because my meter doesn't work in smart mode, so I didn't get one.

Reply to
Smolley

Is there any way for you to monitor your energy used? How do Octopus intend to bill you in the meantime?

(We don't have smart meters, and they would be pretty useless due to topology - but I know we will end up with a pair at some point.)

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Presume they use average for previous year(s) and round-down generously?

My battery isn't dead yet after ~13 years.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My smart meters still have dials. They could send a meter reading person.

Reply to
charles

I used to use Octopus API to retrieve those usage data from home assistant. It has few hours lag though

But with a flat battery, it won't be reporting to Octopus

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd have expected the lack of reporting to be a clue

Reply to
charles

I thought that meters were now owned/maintained by the supplier you pay the bill to, rather than the network operator (REC)? Mine was an individual install, not half the street.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My meters were fitted by my previous supplier - and marked as such. But, I'm now paying someone else for my energy.

Reply to
charles

I thought they transferred ownership, but OFGEM implies there are other "roles" involved

MAPs who own the meters and MOPs/MAMs who install and maintain them and the suppliers are charged for renting them...

Andy Burns

So the energy required to do the metering is taken from the flow of gas (I assume it's a gas meter L was referring to) - it's only the external reporting which requires battery power. Thanks, I wondered about this aspect. I assume the electricity meter has no need of batteries.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

My smart gas meter only has a digital display, no dials seen in the case. I guess the metering side may be mechanical and ongoing if the battery went flat. Fitting a new battery would then start transmitting again but the meter wouldn't have any data at the 30 minute intervals, just the ongoing total amount.

Reply to
alan_m

More likely ultrasonic doppler.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yea you are right There’s no way to monitor my usage currently as my smart meter has digital display only I asked octopus if they will estimate my usage based on winter consumption. But they haven’t reply me 😔

Even when the smart meter was working, I still have to report the readings from the display to Octopus. They simply can’t fetch my smart meter readings somehow.

Btw, I’m talking about gas meter My electricity and water smart meter are working fine

For which electric power would be necessary. Flat battery = no monitoring of gas usage.

Your Utility company is then free to 'estimate' your usage in any way it choses.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

That’s correct! Octopus charged me £1xx for gas since Feb.

But luckily they finally have arrange a slot for me to replace the smart gas meter