Smallest Junction Box

I need to replace a pendent type light fitting with a flush fitting one. The will entail replacing the ceiling rose with a junction box of some description. It will need to be accessed from the ceiling since there is not access from above. What is the smallest junction box type device that I could use for this?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

How about

Bob Minchin

if you've got enough slack in the incoming, outgoing and switch cables to work from below and then insert it through a hole.

Reply to
Andy Burns

perhaps fiddlier.

Andy Burns

is a good idea. It means that I can wire up the light fitting without trying to do it with the fitting upside down while balancing on a chair.

Reply to
Andrew May

It's surprising how tiring doing that sort of stuff is with your arms above your head (unless it's your day-job).

Reply to
Andy Burns

How about

John Rumm

I've used both of these extensively for connecting my downlighters. IThe idea is presumably that you can run two loop and one switch into the Click connector. I wouldn't; I found it hard to get a secure connection with three cables due to the inadequate cable clamping.

I had a two-way switch, so I needed to connect 5 wires in total - more than would reasonably go in a single JB. I used an Ashley J804

screwed to a joist to handle the loop and to provide me with a spurred loop. I connected this to an Ashley J501 to handle switching - two switch wires, one spurred loop, and one output tail. I connected the output tail to a Click connector, and then looped in more tails and click connectors from here, with no more than two wires at any one connector.

That lets me easily remove a single or multiple light fitting for decorating, without having to turn off the lights circuit. And, of course, it means I can carry out an insulation test on individual live connectors rather than having to pair them up.

Only other point to note is that if you put only two wires into the Click connectors, the third cable entry is open - there's no blanking plate. It still meets IP2x, but it feels a bit sloppy.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

I looked that those but they look a bit big to go through the ceiling. By my calculation it is going to need a three inch hole. Might be a bit big.

Has anyone any experience of these?

They look as if they will go through a hole a little over 2 inches.

Reply to
Andrew May

It doesn't seem to take enough cables but I am more than happy to be proved wrong. The one I posted in response to Ben's post is larger and looks as if it will.

Reply to
Andrew May

Yes, I use them, they work pretty well though aren't so good if you want to get really fat cables into them. The connectors will handle up to 4sq mm but trying to get even 2.5sq mm three core cable into them is pretty hard work. For what you want to do I think they would work pretty well if they fit in the hole.

Reply to
tinnews

I dont think they are too good for fitting through celing holes, they are quite chunky when held. Choc boxes are a lot smaller, so maybe the best choice would be use the Wago connectors, and a choc box. That'd be the most compact fitting I think. I never use block (screw) connectors any more, I've got a pile of Wagos, and use them for nearly all connections. If you need a few, mail me. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Its surprising what you can get through a ceiling hole with the aid of a plasterboard pad saw ;-)

(as for the hole, you stick the bit cut out back with some mastic and hide it under the light fitting!)

Reply to
John Rumm

May be worth stressing that the maker's instructions allow you to move the grippers (or in the lighting ones bend them with pliers) for thicker cables.

I think some in practice also trim a mm off the grippers with a sharp knife but I doubt that's authorised.

Reply to
Robin

I removed the grippers completely, it's still hard work getting

2.5sqmm flex into a Wago Box.
Reply to
tinnews

^^^

Ah yes, 2.5mm 3 core flex wd indeed be a struggle: the last stuff I bought was 9.7mm OD while Wagoboxes are only spec'd for up to 8mm even with the grippers removed.

Reply to
Robin

Thanks for the offer Alan but there is a QVS around the corner which stocks them so I was able to buy a pile along with the box. It turns out that the hole above the existing light fitting was quite large so I could open it out to get the box through and will probably patch in a piece of new plasterboard to finish.

Fist time I have used the Wago connectors and for 1.5mm cable seemed fine. 2.5mm might be a bit harder as others have pointed out.

Interestingly the light fitting that I was putting up turns out to have push fit connectors internally instead of screws. At least on live an neutral. Earth, for some reason, is still a screw terminal.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May