Small hot smokers

I spent a few hours looking for the sort of camping stove you might take on a fishing trip. I remember a boys programme on the ITV in the 1960's with a chap called Jack Hargreaves.
He had a small smoker that was just big enough to cook a small trout with a few chips of oak. All the stuff on the 'Net seem to require meths or gas trivet to roast the sawdust.
Such is progress.
How would I make a small wood burning one if the sawdust couldn't be convinced to do the job directly? Something about the size of a half gallon can would be a very large version of what I think I remember.
In message

You need to watch more Ray Mears
--
geoff

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Oh, I remember him... HOW!!!
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:33:13 +0000, Lobster

I remember his Dewalt radial arm saw. The first time I ever felt outright lust.

He was my hero ... started off on the "HOW" series, then had his own spin off.
Weatherlawyer wrote:

Search for mailorder Fishing Tackle suppliers of which there are hundreds . Fishtec,Sportfish,Fishingmegastore.com to name but 3...I'm sure I have seen smokers you just light the sawdust but I could be wrong. .

Thanks but: I spent a few hours looking for the sort of camping stove you might take. All the stuff on the 'Net seem to require meths or gas to roast the sawdust.

Thanks but: I spent a few hours looking for the sort of camping stove you might take. All the stuff on the 'Net seem to require meths or gas to roast the sawdust.
I have a pressure stove that runs on petrol ... Coleman make ... would work in cold weather when the guys with Camping Gaz butane won't work.
On Mar 29, 2:24pm, "Rick Hughes"

Use propane, not butane, for colder weather.
Would this one fit your requirements?
http://tinyurl.com/bq8896
hth David

*Applause*
Si
Lobster wrote:

ROFLMAO
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Ebay 360145851958
No gas required nor leccy
Me Here wrote:

But still needs fuel so maybe ones that need no fuel don't exist ??
"Complete with stand, 2 fuel pans with heat adjustment, cooking pan, lid with adjustable smoke vent, drip tray and grill. "

I suppose that doing one myself could be an option. I must say I wasn't surprised that so many here directed me to shops/ready made stuff.
I suppose that for most, the price of a sophisticated one rules out making one that runs off a bit of kindling, a few very small dry twigs and one or two leaves.
But the original idea was to make do with minimum weight and maximum sustained use at no cost, not carrying a lot of third party chemistry.

Henry's Fiskrok.
http://www.oztion.com.au/OA/oa_previewpic.aspx?itemidE59628&tid=&picnu m=1&#pic
I've got one somewhere around, probably in the garage. Along with the ice-cream maker that's a big cedar bucket that gets filled with ice and salt. And other "stuff" that doesn't get used much anymore.
If you're mad keen on DIYing a smoker I've seen them made from oil drums and I suspect that propane bottles would also work.

No help on the Smoker but apart from How, Out of Town
http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/outoftown.htm
Cheers Adam

Ah the good old days. Immediately in its wake the BBC produced Countryside using Blue Peter staff and what a total fuck up they produced with that.
In the end not satisfied with the calibre of people who knew what to do with a detergent bottle and sticky paper they imported an Hooray Henry from an unreality show.
After that, the whole of British television was subsumed by "celebrities", a class of people whose main claim to fame is that they can breathe in and out involuntarily.
About the smoker. What is it in the intellect of some of the posters here that thinks carrying around a gas bottle to light fires in is superior to carrying around gas bottles to light fires with?
The whole idea is to have portability with utility at minimum inconvenience. Taking a walk down a lane with a bottle of meths, a meths burner, and the smoke box is not utilitarianism.
Somebody tell whoever is thinking about posting any more such silly suggestions for the duration of this thread, please, thank you.

how hard is it to make a lightweight box?
NT