small generator

Hi all

I got a second hand generator cheap with a view to 'tinkering it up'. I thought it was 3kW but the stator says 1.8kW

Now I've pulled it apart it would appear that the stator windings are shot.

I'm struggling to find a supplier of spare parts so was thinking of having a go at rewinding it myself, there are a few videos on youtube and it looks fiddly but not impossible.

Has anyone ever attempted it, or am I best off waiting to see if I can find a generator with a shot engine.

Regards G

Reply to
Gordy

Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too hard. But she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can study them to see what goes where.

Reply to
Animal

Having a lathe can speed this process up massively depending on how the windings are arranged. I have a lathe, but would rather not have the fiddle - and it *is* a fiddle, believe me - so would plum for one already in full working order.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Look up Lingouer on You tube. Some CCP funded bird who actually does appear to be able to hand rewind rotor and stator coils for big electric motors and generators whilst sitting in a rural backwater of china.

The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the responses, there are a few hand winding videos on youtube, but non seem to fully explain calculating the windings, also I'm not really sure about the AVR windings.

Time to look for a scrapper I think, I'm only interested in getting it going as it's diesel and I'm more likely to have a surplus of diesel than petrol on the day that I need it.

Reply to
Gordy

Why do you need to calculate windings? Normally you just measure the wire wia with calipers & count the turns. And with a meter see what connects where.

Reply to
Animal

Very impressive young lady her:)..

tony sayer

I lived in China for several periods over the last fifteen years and I saw at first hand that most girls are very capable.

They still haven't quite got the technique of soldering.

Reply to
Smolley

BULLSHIT.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Thought it looked OK - no flux though, which would have made it possibly easier and better IMVHO

Reply to
RJH

Reply to
nothanks

My problem is how she got to do all that on You tube without the assistance of the Chinese communist party...In short how much of it is actually faked...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A lot of the "build luxury mud hut in jungle" ones are faked, they sometimes slip-up and leave excavator tracks in shot ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. She never uses primer after stripping to bare metal. Just spray can paint on top. Still she is quite a hot little chick. And clearly not totally without technical competence. The backstory I read was that she was an engineering student who left the mountains went into the big city and got addicted to drugs, got dried out and came home to 'help her community' etc.

All very CCP shit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Had an affair with one and it was surprising what she could turn her hand to!, a young female relative can do a lot of DIY pretty good at Electric's and plumbing i think she'd do well in the building trade!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Upto a point sure. But her ability set is limited & hasn't expanded, her painting skills atrocious, safety knowledge nonexistant, she only explains part of what she does, etc. But if you want an intro to fixing basic diesel engines, rewiring motors/gens and fixing/building waterwheels, that's what she does. Certainly the can do attitude beats what we see here by a long way.

Reply to
Animal