Slightly OT: Black & Decker drill repair

Hi

Apologies for being slightly OT. I have a cordless B&D drill. The chuck is one of the twist / grip ones. Unfortunately, the chuck is locked with a bit installed. No matter how hard I try, i cannot release the chuck. Does anyone know of any repair centres around the Leeds (West Yorkshire) area?

TIA

Reply to
Slider

Have you tried putting slip-joint pliers or a strap wrench on the chuck to get some extra leverage?

Otherwise, Firth Powerfix on Gelderd Rd or Baron Bros on Dewsbury Rd.

If you look on B&D's uk website there should be contact details under the Service link.

Alternatively, and probably more economically for you, Leeds Council operate an electrical goods takeback scheme. Can't recall where it is but there's details behind the counter at Screwfix.

Reply to
mike

Bruce

Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't tried pliers. Will give it a go. Does Firth Powerfix offer a repair service?

Reply to
Slider

Thanks guys

Reply to
Slider

For any 'twist and open' exercise a rubber glove on the appropriate hand usually works wonders. For jars, a slap in the middle of the cap first, breaks the vacuum inside and reduces the sticktion on the rim. For instances like your chuck, pouring boiling water over (just the chuck) will probably free it up too: if not, put it in the freezer for an hour or two and then pour boiling water over the chuck. The 'heat spanner' rarely fails.

Spamlet

Not sure I'd want to try the latter method on a glass jar though! ;-)

To add to the above list, another Useful Household Tip for opening stuck screw-top bottles and jars is to tap the lid lightly all round the threaded area with eg a knife handle - amazing how often it works. Presumably either it deforms the threads ever-so-slightly or sets up a bit of vibration, either way enough to make the threads release the grip.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I use one of these:

The baby model does just fine for everything I have needed to use it on in the kitchen.

(Prices seem a touch high. But can't remember what I paid a few years ago at BES.)

Reply to
Rod

Try whacking the drill bit tip into the chuck, it sometimes works ...

Reply to
Scabbydug

If the methods offered dont work, its much quicker and cheaper to replace the chuck than to take it to a repair place. An angle grinder will remove most of the chuck, leaving just the central screw to remove, then it unscrews. New chuck =A35, and a 10-15 minute job.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Done it. Got my mole grips on it. I think I know why it seized - think water has got into it when I used a water cooling device whilst cutting porcelain tiles with a diamond core drill. Noticed some rust on the inside of the chuck. May give it a blast with WD-40 and a bit of a clean.

Thanks for all the tips.

Reply to
Slider

Lobster wrote in

Another method is to slip a rubber band around the jar top - provides that extra bit of grip. It's a nice response to "can you get this top off?" "No, but I'll show you how you can." Always surprises people when you pass them the jar with the rubber band round the cap and they find that they can now open the jar.

Open a jar for a man and he can have pickle for a week, show him how to open a jar...

Reply to
PeterMcC

Only "MAY" give it a blast of WD40 and a bit of a clean!!!

Surely now you know what can happen there is an incentive to take preventative action. I suggest a clean and then some Copperslip. WD40 is not a good lubricant.

Reply to
John

Neither is copperslip - it's an anti-seize compound.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Certainly glues things up a treat when sprayed into a tick tock clock...

Spamlet

Accepted - I was thinking of my use of Copperslip on the chuck attachment of my electric drill - the screw thread - rather than the workings of the chuck.. By all means WD40 to free it up and wash out the rust - then a bit of oil.

Reply to
John

I wonder why they describe it as "The world's number one multi-purpose lubricant" & don't get sued then?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Probably because it does contain 15% Mineral oil But that still doesn't make it a good or cost effective Lubricant.

-
Reply to
Mark