Skirting boards

I'm fitting new softwood skirting boards. I plan to use Colron wood dye and a coat(s) of Ronseal Diamond varnish over that. Do I need to use knotting on the bare boards first?

Reply to
jeffrey.r.helm

With a transparent finish I wouldn't bother. It's when knots bleed through paint they look unsightly.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Unless you are using a very dark dye, the knotting will show through. Any knot resin will eventually bleed through the varnish and dry yellow/amber. Wait till it is dry and powery and scrape off and re-varnish. This might not happen for some years. Ideally use knot free runs in the most visible places and cut out as many knots as possible in the short runs.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin