skirting and expansion joint

Is it an absolute must to have an expansion joint between flooring and skirting?

Normally a gap wouldn't bother me but the skirting is going on top of a varnished original floor and having a gap of a matchstick between the 2 is making it unsightly. The floor isn't particularly level anyway so there is already a natural gap in places.

Cheers

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I filled all the gaps between floorboards and skirting boards with decorators filler, to prevent draughts, and this has not caused any problems.

Reply to
Codswallop

I've never heard of that before. So what if the skirting did expand? It's about a sixteenth of an inch per foot width IIRC. Some expansion would be upwards (half presumably) and the rest would be so small even on a 6" skirting as to make no difference.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks all. I never bothered with a gap. What a hellish job it is when the walls aren't a true 90 degrees!!

Steven

Reply to
No Joke