Sing as DIY entertainment?

If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The thug in the corner who does not like your singing:-)

Reply to
ARW

Both are more than 100 years old, so out of copyright. The pub landlord might have a view on whether or not you were welcome to sing in the pub though.

Reply to
nightjar

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

It's the thug in the corner wot's making me do it. It's his pound coins as were going in the jukebox.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

That's the info I was looking for Colin, thanks.

That'll be me performing in the underpass then :-(

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yes some pubs have an open mike night and even a kareoke night, so learrn I will survive and my way and you are set. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Yeah but I'll be well over a hundred years old before they are.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

"In the UK, copyright in the musical work and the literary work (if relevant) will last for the life of the creator, plus 70 years. If the work was created jointly, it will last for 70 years after the death of the last surviving creator."

100 years might, or might not be old enough. Further, if the arrangement is newer...
Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Those will be out of copyright, so you won't have to pay royalties.

Reply to
charles

Copyright exists until 75 years after the death of the author/composer, not the absolute age of the song.

Reply to
charles

Is there a reasonably easy way to check out such things?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Slightly trickier than it first seemed then.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Not a problem for 'My old man said follow the van died'. The composer of 'If you were the only girl in the world' died in 1952, although, so far as I can find, nobody still claims the copyright to the 1916 version. Later arrangements do have copyright holders listed.

Obviously, use the original arrangement.

Reply to
nightjar

Richard

Thanks for that.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Where did you get 75 from? Everywhere I looked had 70.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Sorry? Oh I almost forgot Come on Eileen and La Isla Bonita. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

In reality though, there is not an issue as the backing track used seems to be all part of the service these days. If you wanted to release it though and make dosh that way, then I'd imagine you would need to be more careful, legally. Its interesting to note that New Zealand seems to have verry liberal copyright laws. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

You're clearly a man who's been around a bit, and moved in artiste-ic circles.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack