Simple wireless window-open detector

We have a similar unit - range is pathetic, not reliable at all.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Syd Rumpo a écrit :

That could work. You could have a master bell push to prove all are shut and if one is found to be open, test with individual bell pushes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Tim Streater a écrit :

I presume you mean closed, with the handle locking the window from being opened from outside, rather than that plus the key turned in the handle?

If you check with a meter, you may find as I did, that the metal blocks which the bolt goes into, is shorted by the security bolts mechanism as the handle is turned. With the window open/ or unlocked, the two metal blocks are an open circuit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

" Samsung SmartThings Multi Sensor

The SmartThings Multi Sensor can monitor whether doors, windows, drawers or your garage have been left open, closed unexpectedly or left open after you leave home. It can also monitor temperature and vibration."

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew a écrit :

Ah, OK I didn't see that, sorry..

It sounds to be perfect for the job.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But needs a hub, like the assorted Z-Wave sensors at

or

(Though the Samsung does ZigBee as well as Z-wave.)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Yes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, my preferred solution would be wired.

Reply to
Capitol

I'm not stringing wires around the house just for this. When we moved here one of the first tasks was to get the sparks to run proper TV/Sat cabling from the roof into the attic and to specific rooms. This cabling was then properly chased in and redecorated. It replaced a mess of over-the-gutter-and-down-the-outside-wall shit that was there before.

Amazon seems to have a lot of wireless sensors that can be attached to windows, doors, which signal the open/closed state. What they don't talk about is what sort of receiver is required. Perhaps I could look at rigging something up using a Pi Zero.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There are zwave thingies in that price bracket:

I'd assumed that was too expensive, but if not it is fairly slim (70x11x40mm).

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's what the multi sensor does.

Reply to
MKF

Not if you don't want to use a smartphone user interface.

The Samsung site is unclear if you can use the cheapest android smartphone but even if you can, it isn't that cheap if you don't have one already or have an iphone instead.

Reply to
MKF

I don't have any so-called "smart" phone and have never felt the need of one.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They can be a convenient user interface with that sort of sensor.

You could get a simple wireless alarm system and have window sensors for each window and when leaving the house just see what the alarm system thinks about whether the windows are open or closed.

Or add those wireless window sensors to the existing alarm system if there is an existing alarm system.

Reply to
MKF

A burglar alarm? Why re-invent the wheel? You don't have to have a siren with one. Vast range of panels on the market.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I notice the z-wave spec has recently been made public ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

ESP8266, and its sucessor,currently shorter supply, ESP32

Designed for the Internet of Things, small size and cost

Adam Aglionby

The 8266 has been around a long time. I currently have the other one on order.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Where from? Is it a wroom you have on order?

Reply to
dennis