Silver foil

I have read the word sandwich above and become hungry. Please slap Brian.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I tend to ignore all health warnings. They always change their mind 10 years later.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Although I've read the expression (and not always been able to work out what was meant from context) I have never heard a living person use words 'tin foil' about any houselhold material.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

An exceptionally egregious example of bollocks. "They said aluminium is dangerous. Let's use non-stick. Oh no, little bits of PTFE come off which /might/ be harmful. Oh no aluminium isn't dangerous. Well maybe it is: let's used /anodised/ aluminium." Since anodised aluminium isn't non-stick, you will have to use scratchy scourers to clean it, which will remove the anodising.

Reply to
Max Demian

That's because you don't make houselhold from tin foil. You use tin foil to wrap the turkey at Christmas. Houselholds are made from brickls.

Reply to
Richard Heathfield

And welded them back, rusted though they were I suppose.

Reply to
Max Demian

The whole idea of charity sponsorship is absurd: if a charity is worth supporting, why make it a condition that a third party do something pointless?

Reply to
Max Demian

We all know the story of the three little pigs, and how they built their homes from straw, sticks and bricks respectively....

What few people know is that there was a fourth little pig who didn't make it into the story because the first three managed to dispose of the big bad wolf before he got round to bothering the youngest...and that pig, like his elder brothers, had his own ideas about what constitutes proper building material...but his house, suitably labeled, still stands today:

....r

Reply to
RH Draney

RH Draney wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

I have some insulation as part of the house - it is fancy bubble-wrap in silver foil format.

I expected a better jpig than that.

Reply to
Kerr-Mudd,John

Likewise German silver (a pseudonym of nickel silver), Tibetan silver (a low-silver alloy), Miao silver (an alloy that's about half silver) and a couple more that I can't remember ATM. ISTR "Sheffield silver" used as a term for silver plate, but Sheffield also produced a lot of sterling silver goods.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I remember seeing Sheffield Silver marked cutlery which I'm pretty sure wasn't expensive enough to be solid.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That could explain quite a few things we have observed.

It's getting clearer all the time. :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

while it is true that they were of little use the actual aim wasn't to collect metal but to allow people to believe that as individuals they were contributing to the war effort it was mostly a propergander excersie and seemed to work.

Reply to
whisky-dave

My youngest son runs marathons because he likes long-distance running and can raise sponsor donations to support charities while promoting public awareness of the work they do. His next one is the Boston marathon.

His most recent London marathon run (April) raised 4,000 pounds for Guide dogs for the Blind. Since then he's done a half-marathon, a one- mile inter-island open sea swim, a triathlon and a mountain night hike. He loves the physical and mental challenge; the side benefit is publicity and fundraising for charities.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet

I do running too, but not for charity. The people who sponsored your son would probably have donated to charity anyway. Why should the two be linked?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Pity we can't get people like this on dynamos for the national grid rather than solar which doesn't work too well at night and wind which either isn' t blowing enough or too much, what possible excuse would a runner/swimmer/c yclist have for not producing our leccy ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Hopeully not into walls or door frames there's not much future in that.

e donated to charity anyway. Why should the two be linked?.

That's not true for me or most people, you only have to look at the childre n in need pudgsy that's going on, it;s the awarness of the charity that mak es it work. I've given soem money to a charity regarding still born babies and helping the families, because someone here is taking a week off work to walk across part of the sahara desert and I admire her for doing that. But she is alos the one that decided she couldn't deliver my post as it weight more than 5

0grams and she couldnlt delivery it as it was a parcel about 60g, so I was asked to take over the job of delivering all parcels, so I guessing it some thing to do with equality or women can;t carry 'heavy' objects depsite bin g equal to men. So I refused and said I'll collect my own post and parcels and those that a re for the lab, I will not be redeloyed as a post boy because I'm male and the women you have employed to sort post and parcels out can't carry anythi ng above 50g. I left my new job profile on their table without signing it a nd walked out.
Reply to
whisky-dave

Ok, burying is maybe a bad idea, but hidden somewhere. I certainly wouldn't be giving my personal property for free to the government.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Indeed, which is why I ignore everything.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It may seem absurd to you, but it is undeniably effective.

In fact, it's triply effective:

1) by publicising a charity event of a particular type (it might be a fun run, or a tiddlywinks competition, or a bungee jump, or whatever), you attract people who are already interested in that sort of activity, and they become de facto champions for your charity, at least for a short while. Without the event, that wouldn't have happened. 2) Those people approach their families, friends, and colleagues to seek sponsorship. It is entirely possible that those people might not even have heard of the charity and thus would not have given money to it even if they thought the cause worthwhile. But now they /will/ hear of it, and some of them /will/ give money. 3) You get press publicity both before and after the event.

Yes, in an ideal world we could do without the head-shaving or the pogo-stick jumping or whatever, and just give the money directly. But then, in an ideal world, we wouldn't need charities at all!

Reply to
Richard Heathfield