Silver foil

I'd like to see that. For some reason it isn't on youtube.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

"Silver paper" is the more common British term for aluminium foil, as used to wrap chocolate bars, and has never been made of silver.

Reply to
Max Demian

Here in US I once found a small unopened bottle of liquor containing flakes of gold foil. I drank it and don't recall anything special except the sparkly appearance.

Reply to
Frank

The local supermarkets sell Vodka with gold leaf pieces in.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ooh, sparkly puke. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

on aluminum foil but just one side and that you should use a lighter to bu rn off the coating before using it because the coating was bad for your hea lth, she then asked me why I was laughing.

there's no coating really. Denial's amazing isn't it.

Reply to
tabbypurr

You've all been trolled! LOL Bunch of IDIOTS!

Should be a matter of only a few hours until you idiots get trolled AGAIN, after sociopathic Hucker's latest "big success"! LOL

Reply to
Peeler

Absolutely right! I misremembered - silver paper it was.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Also, sparkly poo, too ;)

Reply to
Frank

That was before my time.

The single use that I remember for silver foil was to make a tiny rocket.

You would wrap the silver tightly around the head and top of a paper match, with a pin laid along one side of the match; withdraw the pin to leave an exhaust channel; balance the rocket somewhere; hold a lit match under the wrapped matchhead and watch it zip away when the wrapped match ignited.

That was probably safer as an outdoor sport. In my case, it was mainly worth doing to see if it worked.

Reply to
Rich Ulrich

Never heard it called silver paper (in Scotland).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That would make a great title for a pop tune....r

Reply to
RH Draney

You must listen to considerably worse music than me.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Preferably not accompanied by a video.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

Silver paper to me was laminated aluminium and paper as in cigarette packages and around chocolate etc.

Reply to
FMurtz

AOL.

If people here want to refer to aluminium foil, they will call it silver foil or aluminium foil or tinfoil; never silver paper.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

It's made of aluminium. Silver refers to the colour.

Reply to
harry

Strangely though I was not around back then and it sounds just a little impractical for modern usage, though I've often wondered about what effect the oxide has on any food wrapped in it though if it had been an issue then the amount used around my sandwiches when I went to school should have killed me off long ago. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes but what about oxidisation, a common thing that stops ally from vanishing in a puff of smoke. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes sadly they would not let us melt anything silver at school to try this.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff