Flat roof replacement - What material

I need to replace the flat roof over a double garage. I would like to use something that will last. Any suggestions as to what material to use?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Define last? Decent quality felt properly fitted can last over 30 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

replying to Michael Chare, Iggy wrote: You can go with tar build-up, rubber membrane and now even fiberglass. I've had the tar and rubber and they're equal in longevity around me, NEED to be coated every 10-years. But, the fiberglass stuff is amazing and has been in Europe for a while now. You get a Corvette for a roof. No re-coating and no seams and no leaks ever again for 50-years or more. If you can get it, get it.

Reply to
Iggy

When I was looking at re-roofing a shed, the life of EPDM was quoted as 50+ years. I didn't use it as it seemed too much hassle and, as I'm 70, a bit of overkill (gulp!).

Reply to
PeterC

I re-did my garage/kitchen/porch flat roofs in EPDM, you'll want a (better with two?) helper to get it laid nice and flat.

The only thing I've had to do to it in a decade is give it a wash and brush down with bleach, because when walking across the flat roof to clear gutters algae build-up had made it treacherously slippy when wet.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The only time I'd take such a claim as being 100% accurate for all uses is where the maker gives a cast iron warranty for 50 years. Rather like LEDs. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

EDPM from

IF its fiddly like mine go on a one day course like i did to practice doing the corner patches.

If you can do it with one piece all the better, but their jointing system lasts forever

[george]
Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Glass Fibre. Strong, Sun resistant, Moderately easy to apply, easy to repair if ever necessary. No joins when finished.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I have used EPDM rubber on two shed roofs clad with OSB. The first one seven years ago and have had no problems at all.

Its ease to lay, strength and one piece construction along with its claimed longevity attracted me.

Last time, I purchased the EPDM and glue from

. They have a few instructional videos on there, which might help you decide whether this is for you.

(I have no relationship with them apart from being a satisfied customer)

HTH

Reply to
SteveE

Put a pitched roof on it.

Reply to
Capitol

Be very wary of torch-on felt. Skimping on gas to save money is a common trick.

Also depends on its location. A roof that is frazzled by the midday sun will not last as long as one that is shaded for more of the day.

Reply to
Andrew

The last flat roof I had recovered was done with felt and pitch with little stones on the job. It was more than 25 years ago. What I remember was that I got the roofer to use a good quality felt. Because of the use of pitch and it was two stories I did not think of this as a DIY job.

But it occurs to me that it might be possible to install EPDM myself.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Indeed - if I'd used it I could let you know, if I make it to 120!

Reply to
PeterC

When I did a chicken shed (no steps needed) I tried the felt in B&Q and even the 'better' stuff was easy to tear. Went to a roofing company and got glass-fibre-based felt for little more. I had to be careful as I needed 1 roll exactly.

Reply to
PeterC