Silver foil

Yes I can imagine. See my earlier post about sandwiches. I still say though why is it that it stays shiny when its well known that ally oxidises so readily unless coated. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You can witness denial every day in smokers and folk playing machines in betting shops. They all believe they are in control. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

None at all.

Aluminium oxide is fantastically inert which is what made elemental aluminium such a very rare metal in the days before electrochemistry.

Thicker anodised oxide coating makes it even better.

But deprived of its oxide coat aluminium metal corrodes away in air overnight. It used to be a demo back in the days when you could use elemental mercury in school labs.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That's what my parents called it. (In Edinburgh)

Reply to
charles

round chocolate?

Reply to
charles

Unbelievable! This coming from the idiot who rises to almost all of Birdbrain's disgusting silly baits! LOL

Reply to
Peeler

'Cos the oxide is shiny? You must have seen sheets of aluminium on electronics chassis.

Reply to
Max Demian

OK what about 'silvered' mirrors? Did they call it silvering /before/ silver was used, as well as after?

Reply to
Max Demian

Not quite. The surface oxide coat is transparent at the thickness that it is present on the metal and the same with "stainless" steel.

Reply to
Martin Brown

He amuses me.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Quicker to say I guess. But you wouldn't say "gold ring" when it was brass.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Before? I thought it started out as silver then changed to something cheaper?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not as shiny as before oxidation.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Well some of use need to know the diffence between a silver colour and actual silver so I thought I;d try to educate hucker and yes I know it;s like walking up mount everest backwards but I do work with students ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Brits don't use the term silver paper any more, younger generations have probably never heard of it.

In my childhood, adults and children commonly collected "silver paper" for charities such as Guide Dogs and Blue Peter appeals to sell and raise funds. "Silver paper" was the thin linings of cigarette packets, the foil tops from glass milk bottles, and the inner wrapper of sweets.

The aluminium "tin foil" used today to contain ready made meals, or sold in rolls for kitchen use, was unknown back then. Lunch sandwiches or raw meat were wrapped in paper or greaseproof paper (or both). We saved that too (for lighting the coal fires in domestic houses).

Janet.

Reply to
Janet

The chocolate bar next to me has seperate foil and paper, presumably to allow for easier recycling.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Or "cooking foil".

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Surely they'd make about 2 pence?

Apparently the primary school I went to, before my days, each child was to bring in one lump of coal each day in winter to heat it. By the time I went there, we had god-awful electric storage radiators, later upgraded to fan powered versions.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And mine -also in Edinburgh.

Reply to
S Viemeister

KitKat ?

A friend while waiting at a bus stop had some stranger come up to her and ask, do you want my kitkat, he handed her the chocolate and walked off with the wrapper.

Reply to
whisky-dave