Silicon sealant

I am going to need silicon sealant for bathroom and kitchen fitting and I see that Lidl selling some at a bargain basement price next Monday

Is there any difference between that and the more expensive versions?

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:  (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

Don't know about Lidl's but generally yes. Divide the "guaranteed for xx years" on the tube by about 5 to get the actual possible lifetime (the years on the tube esxist only in a parallel universe somewhere - bit like the number of rolls of wallpaper a packet of paste will put up). "Guaranteed 35 years" from a reputable maker (eg Dow-Corning) is usually fairly good.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Cheap stuff won't last 2 mins. Get some dow corning.

Reply to
Slider

Further to that consider the problems of removing it, if it turns bad on you.

I would buy the best from a reputable brand.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have used Lidl white silicon sealant a few times on rented property bathrooms and its ok, but not as good as for instances Dow Corning.

To put it another way, its about half as good as Dow Corning but 1/4 of the price.

-
Reply to
Mark

versions?

If it smells of vinegar as it sets then usually it's good. No vinegary smell and chalky feel then no good!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I suspect that's just the difference between acetoxy (vinegary smell) and non-acetoxy types. In some applications (can't remember which) the acetic acid given off by acetoxy cure silicones is undesirable.

As for durability, the thing that makes sealants unacceptable quickly is mildew. I've had that on Cow Dorning as well as El Cheapo brands, due to protracted high humidity. Humidistat-controlled fans are a step in the right direction but the rest of the house has to be warm and dry for the fan to reduce the humitidy in the room. I've got a dehumidifier in the bathroom.

Reply to
YAPH

DON'T BUY IT!!!

I bought some cheap stuff from Aldi. I suspect the LIDL stuff is the same. (about £2 per tube) It was a complete waste of time - I've had to redo the shower I used it on. If I could I would sue the sods for wasted time and effort.

The ALDI stuff that doesn't smell of vinegar and takes at least 48 hours to set. Skin forms after an hour (I think) If you get any water on it before it has fully set it starts to dissolve.

I think the Wickes £4.50 one is okay - I suspect the more expensive one they do is rubbish - but I'm basing that on the curing times they give and the fact they say it doesn't smell.

Reply to
pjlusenet

The so called "Neutral Cure" ones are good, however don't assume that they are actually silicone unless it says so. You get the same lack of smell with non silicone acrylic sealants, which will be very poor in comparison.

Use a "sanitary" type in damp atmospheres as well.

John Rumm

Sounds like an acrylic sealant rather than a silicone one then...

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. Excellent stuiff, but not silicone. 'Decorators Caulk'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lidl and Aldi do both silicone and acrylic sealants.. make sure you use the right one as it was in German last time.

Reply to
dennis

I've used their silicon sealant and it seemed the same as shed branded stuff - ie ok but much cheaper. Are you sure what you used was actually silicon? Most of their products like this have poor or non existing English descriptions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mmm, I suggest buying silicone sealant instead :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Screwfix do an acceptable sanitary silicone at about £1.70 IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi,

I also am fixing up my bathroom and fitting a bathroom suite, taps and shower ect not sure if this helps but i got a great deal on a bathroom suite from

they offer free UK delivery.

Hope this helps,

John.

Reply to