Silicon sealant

I haven't applied silicon sealant for several decades, and am wondering if the "sealant gun" is still the way to go, or if one can get a spray that has the same effect?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

The application is less important than how you tool it after. So a sealant gun is fine, but get yourself a fugi or fugenboy set:

John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news:bZednfFa9-4T2 snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

enough though, I ended up using the old wet finger method.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

Then it wasn't similar.

gun fuhenboy methes (to clean fugenboy) and I've not looked back since. :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news:2121446216303431837.385376tw- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

What?? You assume it wasn't similar because it was less expensive??

Reply to
AL_z

No, because it wasn't a Fugenboy. AFAIK B&Q don't sell them.

Nothing works like a Fugenboy. Nothing.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

because the op said it didn't work!

fugenboys work, noone who used one wpuld resort to a wet finger.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news:1738949064303471737.613979tw- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

You, apparently, are the only "twit" here. The OP (me) said I didn't use it; I didn't say it didn't work!

Al

Reply to
AL_z

you implied it didn't. You are unlikely to have said that if you'd used a real one!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think there's a tendency to go a bit overboard with praise for the 'Fugenboy'. A simple comparison with other similar tools suggest that the Fugenboy is grossly overpriced (£10.21p) and the current suggestion (Plumbworld - £22.56p / £13.97p) even more so. The Fugenboy consists of three small plastic tools with a total of twelve profiles; the Plumbworld version is also a three piece pack with a couple of additional profiles. On the other hand the Lidl version (Powerfix - £3.99p) has four pieces with a total of twenty one profiles. There appears to be no discernible difference in flexibility between the Fugenboy and Powerfix so the comparison suggests that the Powerfix is far better value than either of the others and very much cheaper. Paying £22.56p (reduced to £13.97) or £10.21p for three small bits of soft plastic is surely too much when the cheaper version works just as well.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

All true, but the Lidl one is only available once in a blue moon. Apart from which I'm more than happy to pay £10 for what it does, not what it is.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Nothing works like a Fugenboy. Nothing."

It seems that several things do work exactly like a Fugenboy.

Would you pay £10.00p rather than £4.00p if you found the two items side by side?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Tim Watts wrote in news:903669585303478599.067978tw- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I didn't use it because I mislaid it - not because it didn't work. However, you jumped to a different conclusion. So think twice, next time, before getting your knickers in a twist.(-;

Al

Reply to
AL_z

OK, if you want to be pedantic Nothing works like a Fugenboy type sealant tool.

I've just bought a Lidl one but not tried it. "IF" it works as well as a proper Fugenboy I'd buy the cheaper. Assuming I'd hit the once a year they arrpear in Lidl.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No I expect he assumes it was inferior because you felt you could achieve comparable results with a finger.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have both sets - fugi and fugenboy. Personally I think the Fugi is worth the extra - the posh version with guide bars especially so if you need to seal against tiles. The Fugenboy used to have the advantage in cramped spaces due to its smaller size, but you get a small one with most sets now.

Not having tried the Lidl version, and so can't compare.... It all depends on how well it works, how well it lasts, and how easy it is to clean.

Reply to
John Rumm

There's nothing pedantic in pointing out that a particular tool has both cheaper and more expensive rivals. That is really one of the strengths of this group; people often offer information about different products and ask questions about their quality and uses. Since there are now at least three alternatives to the Fugenboy version anybody that's interested can choose which version to buy in the knowledge that there is a considerable price range for almost identical tools.

Since you've just bought one from Lidl it appears that you had no difficulty in finding the alleged once-a-year window of availability on your first attempt. Your obvious scepticism is entirely justified when you're offered the choice of several nearly identical tools with such a wide discrepancy in price. In this instance I think you will be agreeably surprised because so many tools sold at Lidl are of quite high quality and good value for money which is what most of us look for.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Well it wouldn't break the bank to try the Lidl version. Your usage is obviously greater than mine so if you found that the cheaper version is as good as the more expensive version your experience would be worth reporting.

You could maybe keep the posh version for 'Sunday best'.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

AL_z wibbled on Saturday 14 August 2010 17:51

It was a reasonable conclusion to assume as you didn't mention otherwise adn that's certainly how it read.

I apologise for terseness of previous postings - trouble with using a mobile. But I'm not getting anything in a twist.

I was merely pointing out (as a person who has done siliconing the "old way" with a wet finger, that having used a Fugenboy, I now get generally excellent results with a lot less mess.

Maybe other things work too, but there is a reasonable supposition that the quality of manufacture is highly relevant, namely:

1) The cleanness of the edge of the product; eg rough edges from a poor injection mold would lead to poor performance. The Fugneboy seems well made in this respect. 2) The type of the plastic. Is it soft enough to conform to the surface, hard enough to be controllable? again, they seem to have a good balance.
Reply to
Tim Watts

The guy who claimed to have bought a 'similar' product in B&Q clearly didn't. There are various sealant smoothers available, Unibind & Stanley both sell them. The principle of operation is however entirely different from Fugenboy types.

But you can't because of the severely limited availability of the Lidl version.

Bollox. I went into Lidl to see if they had any angle grinder discs. They 'happened' to have sealant smoothers. I've never seen those before even though I get weekly e-mails from Lidl telling me whats on offer. So thier availability is severely limited as I said.

"If" the Lidl version works OK its a bargain. If it doesn't its a waste of money. Since I re seal baths, showers & worktops literally every week I'll let you know if it works OK. I have 2 showers to reseal on Monday.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman