Sigh. Again. Why bother ?

Ahh, Labour controlled Birmingham, where 48,000 people are 'in care'. Work out the cost of that lot to the council tax payers. Remember nationally only about 40% of people in care are self-funding (and subsidising the other 60%).

Have you forgotten how to remove a bike tyre and fix a puncture or a new tube ?, or are you one of those people who constantly grumbles "'they' should something about it" ?

Reply to
Andrew

I must admit I don't usually have any tools or puncture repair kit, partly because my bike doesn't have a basket, saddle bag or pannier, so there's nowhere to put them. When I remember, and I've got a rucksack, they go in there.

Luckily I *did* have my puncture repair kit they day I was cycling along the Oxford Canal. Finding the hole in the tube was easy: there was a nice ready-made canal full of water to look for bubbles!

Sod's Law seems to apply to bike rides: the puncture happened when I was just about at the point where I was planning to turn round (so it would have been a long walk back if I couldn't have repaired the tyre), and likewise when my derailleur mechanism broke on another occasion, I had just turned round and had to cycle in a very low gear for about 10 miles to get back to the car.

Reply to
NY

Most of my mates cycle, all do their own cycle stuff (one is restoring one now) and they can certainly change a light bulb. ;-)

Maybe some of that is why they are my mates in the first place?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

All of *my* bikes have somewhere to put stuff (minimum one pannier on a rear rack) else where can I put my beer / takeaway on the way home. ;-)

When I walk (proper dog walk etc) I wear a day sack with walking related stuff in there and I was considering carrying some plastic tyre levers, puncture repair kit and an ally 'dog bone' spanner, in case we come across someone in distress.

You have one of those catamaran canoe-cycles? ;-)

;-)

I generally use my ears and face, saves having to dry the tube before applying the glue / patch.

And why all our cycle tyres are treated with slime and are typically 'puncture resistant' tyres (Schwalbe Marathons etc).

That's fairly unusual?

Generally easier than being stuck in a high gear. ;-)

We are lucky in that we are near some good walking / cycling so generally walk / cycle straight from the house. When my foot was bad I put a folder in the boot and did drive to get us closer to the walk (the Mrs was walking and I was on the folder).

The Mrs currently has an arthritic foot and one shoulder where the recent steroid injection didn't last long (it had for a few years previously). We tried her on an adult push-scooter and whilst that was ok for her foot, it wasn't good for her bad shoulder. The same would apply to an electric scooter (the holding on bit) but a mate has a couple of trikes going spare, I might try her on one of those, least till her foot 'get's better' (it seems to have good and bad phases). The hope is that she can generally cruise / coast and mostly use the good arm to steer (and it should be lighter than the mobility scooter steering).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I had a look for the Monty Python Bicycle Repairman sketch but I can't find it on YouTube.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes, that's been my experience. The amount my friends pay for a 'service' is eye watering. I mean, it's great to have people in work doing that sort of thing, but even so . . .

Reply to
RJH

They are not proper cyclists either. A proper cyclist is one who views his bike as a tool to get from A to B, such as in the context of going to work, to school, or sight-seeing. I'd say 99% of those on bikes these days appear to be people who imagine that you can't ride a bike without being a member of a club, can't ride a bike without strange clothing, and that the sole purpose of roads is as race tracks to allow them to race each other and record "personal bests".

Reply to
Tim Streater

And to get in the way of motorists.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

These were, in the main, people commuting to work

Reply to
charles

#It all makes work for the working man to do#

Reply to
Max Demian

Don't forget terrifying as many pedestrians on the pavement as possible too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The wheelchair is supplied under the load scheme. Not mine to touch (before we consider that I don't get any money for it from anywhere anyway).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Right. So just like motability. Neighbours D-I-L has nice new diesel SUV to carry her 4-yo who needs a wheelchair.

When it had a puncture, she had to take it to Kwikfit who fitted a new tyre (nail was in centre of almost new tyre) and billed motability (= us) £120.

When it stopped dead after a coule of weeks, the AA attended immediately and diagnosed lack of ad-blu. :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Pretty much I guess.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Just to update this, one wheel has a slow puncture ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk