Linux? Why Even Bother?

Walmart, Dell, IBM and others have tried to sell Linux desktops and all ave failed. Linux was the first on the shelves for netbooks and yet when Windows versions were released months later the Linux versions went MIA.

Don't you kooks get it yet? Linux is like typhoid. Not wanted.

Give up and use Windows or OSX like the other 98 percent of society. Stop making asses of yourselves.

Reply to
Scurvy McRicketts

Linux is getting more and more like Windows any way now. Somewhat more secure, efficient OS.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 23:15:49 -0400, Scurvy McRicketts Gave us:

There is a new TV series where Linux is used and directly mentioned.

Show me a TV series where Windows is touted as anything other than a vulnerable POS not ever ready for any business to use, unless they want to be hacked in the first week.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Only in Windows Lemming La La land is someone labeled a kook for merely using an alternative. You would think Windows Lemmings are all some flavor of communist or fascist for all of their intolerance of people making their own choices.

Reply to
JEDIDIAH

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:24:13 -0500, JEDIDIAH Gave us:

Good call, dude.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You have a God given talent for completely missing the point. The consumer had a choice between the Linux netbooks and the Windows models. They chose the Windows models.

Reply to
Tomas

Nah, let them use what they want. The one thing *I* would like is for them to stop lying about Linux and start telling the truth, for once.

Reply to
Slimer

If a new install of win10 is free, I'll keep using it, other wise I'll use linux and the money can stay in my pocket. Either one gets the job done.

Reply to
Home is where I hang my hat

I bought one (HP) with Windows because it was cheaper and had better specs. Then made it useful by wiping this Windows and installing Linux. Now six years later it is still in use as a mini media server with Spotify and KRadio.

Reply to
Dirk T. Verbeek

Op 24-06-15 om 17:30 schreef Slimer:

Yeah, you ARE in need of truth :)

Reply to
Dirk T. Verbeek

After reading the win10 preview newsgroup, it appears that a lot of people aren't a bit happy on some design decisions that were made in regards to win10. Some are saying that the moment is ripe for linux to get its act together and put out a clean distro with support. The linux community also has to support this by writing decent and well thought out apps. Last chance for this to happen. But I'm afraid that this may be too big of a hurdle for this to succeed.

Reply to
GreyCloud

"Made it useful." Honestly though, I have to admit that for netbooks at least, Linux runs a lot better than Windows. I recently renewed the life of a co-worker's Windows netbook (which was ridiculously slow) by installing Lubuntu on it. It caused her a couple of problems since then (Linux is good at that) but it is still technically functional.

Reply to
Slimer

Barney and Friends isn't new.

Godzilla

But, of course, you have no evidence or even decent reason to think this is the case. Just something you think is "clear".

Whatever.

Reply to
Snit

Marti van Lin wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

Why bother giving a name to each fecal bolus that you encounter? :-*

Reply to
Chris Ahlstrom

I could give a big rat's ass what Joe Sixpack chooses. He probably shops at Walmart and lives on Big Macs and Rolling Rock too.

Reply to
rbowman

I recently bought a Dell with windows 7 for similar reasons. Someday I'll have to boot into Windows and see if it still works. According to uptime it hasn't seen the light of day for 96 days...

Reply to
rbowman

Use what you like. Seems a simple concept to me. :)

Reply to
Snit

It used to be that all TV/Movie computers were Apples (and even invading alien armadas used Apples OS).

Windows seems to have caught on late that product placement is a good thing (and no doubt their marketing department will try to claim that they invented it) and have appeared in Hawaii 5-0 (in a major role as the table top surface machine), How I met your mother, Mentalist, I think Bones...

Although other than laptops the logo seems to only appear on the back of a monitor which is not very subtle product placement.

Andy

Reply to
AndyW

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 09:44:31 +0100, AndyW Gave us:

This was not "product placement". This is mentioned specifically by cast members and is what those members "use" to perform security operations/hacking jobs.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno