Side Extension Price

I'd just like to know how much and up and down side extension 12ft wide and 25 ft long could cost (and just a very rough figure). This extension is to make my house wider and add two top bedrooms and a downstairs reception.

Please, remember I just want a rough figure for an economical extension. What's the cheapest I can expect to pay? I already know I'd need planning permision.

TH

Reply to
Tyler

£1K per square metre of generated room size is a rough approximation

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A common costing nowadays is £1000 per square metre for carcass building. £1500 per square metre for finished 'liveable' rooms. £2000 for quality fittings.

Which (for 2 floors) comes in at £50,000 for the shell £75,000 for finished rooms £100,000 if you want top notch fixtures, fittings and furniture.

These are ballpark figures and assume little or no DIY content.

Reply to
OG

Thank you!

Reply to
Tyler

Reply to
Tyler

Why is it double for 2 floors? I'd have thought a large part of the cost is the floor/roof/foundation, and the extra skin of brick/openings wouldn't double the cost. Maybe factor 1.5 to account for scaffolding?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

... feels faint ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You also have to consider deeper foundations, 2 lots of ceilings and floors, twice as much plastering, cabling, plumbing; stairs in the extension or work needed to connect the extension to the existing house (which may be more complicated upstairs).

Figures are ballpark anyway. Given that they are ballpark figures

Reply to
OG

A Travel-thing style hotel usually starts from about £30k per bedroom, and they're usually modular/prefab construction which should be quicker and cheaper.

Nowt's cheap except words

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And pretty awful to boot!

(I once visited someone, never stayed in one).

DIY must be less expensive though and this IS a DIY group ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed - thanks.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I thought ballparks would be cheaper to build than that...

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

Its usual to spec the same foundations for 1 or 2 storey. Start at 1 metre plus maybe more when the BCO looks down the 'ole. The shell price should be substantially less than double the price of a single. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Foundations don't cost that much unless hand dug.

What actually costs is not the shell anyway..its the windows, doors, plastering, flooring,wiring, plumbing etc etc.

which is all in direct relation to floor area by and large.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher