Shower knob slips

Triton Ivory III and the rotary 4 position knob slips unless it is pressed really hard. It is a simple sleeve with a flat on it to engage on the plastic shaft which seems to turn fairly readily with just finger power. Nothing seems particularly worn but obviously is.

What is the best way to pad it out? Paper? Aluminium foil? Glue and let it set? Other?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Oh - just looked at it in a better light and it's got a split.

Still same question as to repair - araldite?

Reply to
AnthonyL

I was going to say buy a new knob, you can find such stuff online but it lo oks like you'd need a whole front cover for about £35

Maybe some epoxy putty with care but make sure you don't glue the front to the shaft or you'll never get it apart again!

Reply to
Murmansk

I bound some wire round mine and that's still working OK. I.e. I wound some wire tightly round the plastic collar part of the knob so that it couldn't spread.

Reply to
cl

Yes it looks as if some collar of some sort is the answer. I've got some garden wire - did you go for something thick or thin?

Even a small jubilee clip might work if I could find one to fit.

Reply to
AnthonyL

In article , AnthonyL writes

A few turns of soft iron wire (or copper), not too thick, in a single layer would be easiest to apply. Twist the ends and give it a light coat of epoxy glue over the top to keep it all in place.

The forces concerned aren't too great so no need to go overboard.

Reply to
fred

Come to think of it I might have used a tiny jubilee clip, the sort of one that comes in an assortment that you think you'll never find a use for! :-)

I was thinking of plain tinned copper wire as that's quite easy to wind tight in such a situation.

Reply to
cl

A slight improvement is to use enamelled copper wire as it's protected from the elements. But, yes, this will make a good strong repair.

(I have IIRC a 10km reel of Swingfire missile control wire which is four steel cores, copper plated, enamelled and overall cotton covered. This would work well too. I bought it many years ago on a whim and must have used several feet already!)

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Yep, I've yet to find a glue that has enough strength in tension to work for long in this application. As fred says, bind tightly just two maybe three turns, twist ends together to tighten the binding and coating of goo to hold it in place and give a bit of protection.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

For more awkward situations where wire wont work or for higher forces, I have mixed up some glass filled epoxy filler (eg Isopon P40) and packed out the cavity with that. Carefully putting the knob over the shaft before the filler sets to make sure it well go on.

Reply to
fred

New knob? I glued one once and two weeks later half the knob fell off as there must have been a crack in it somewhere. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

car body filler is a great gap filler that doesn't stick to (most) plastics

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher