Shower electrics

Shortly, I will have to remove the power shower unit from the bathroom wall. Though I can remove the fuse that feeds it, what do I have to do with the 3 cores coming out of the wall to make it safe?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Assuming you can disconnect all the wires at the supply (or connect them all to earth), you could then hack out a bit of plaster and entomb them. I would probably make off the ends in an insulated crimp first.

Reply to
John Rumm

Switch off the CU and remove the cover. Disconnect the cable completely. You can tape up the ends and leave inside the CU in case it's needed later.

Do something similar at the other end if you can - you just never know.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am hoping that I can put back the same power shower pump if I can repair it, but it might well be off the tiled wall for some time.

John's idea sounds good, further down. By the way, the shower is tapped off the upstairs ring to a fuse and isolating switch in the airing cupboard before going under the bathroom floor and up the wall behind the plaster and tiles.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That sounds good, but I may want to put the shower back if I can repair it. There will be a hole in the tile for the cable to connect to the shower, so I might be able to hide the ends behind a plastic cover siliconed on. There is no way we can use the shower head without the pump and we don't have a hand held version, would this be a temporary solution?

Answering Dave's reply, it set me thinking about the routing of the cable. When I fitted this shower, I tapped into the bath pipes and ran them from under the bath, out side the panel and up a trunking that was tight up to the bath along with the cable (high temp. spec) for the pump. Now, I am not sure if the plumber re ran them to conform with regs. (vertical/horizontal) I'll get my detectors on the job am. I have bad feelings about this :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Ah - it's a pump. Same applies, though - disconnect the cable totally at the isolating switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pump, mixer, temperature and flow control. (Mirage Powerforce)

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You could mount a small exterior waterproof junction box over the exit hole, to protect the free end of the cable (which would enter the box from the back through a hole). If you silicone around it that will stop water getting into the cable, or the surrounding plasterwork through the hole in the tile.

Where was this trunking? If its in the corner of the room then it is within the expected cable routes anyway ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

It was the bath width away from the wall and fastened *on* it. Now there is do indication that a cable is there. What I am bothered about now, is did the plumber re-run the cable? I'll take the bath panel off when I take the shower pump off and that should tell me, hopefully. I remember him asking if I had any cable to do a re-run, but it was a very got day in the bathroom and a cold pint was shouting my name when he did that part of the job.

Dave

Reply to
Dave