Should I tape the joints in my underlay?

I have knocked down a stud wall between 2 small bedrooms making one large 'games room'.

I have disposed of the old carpet and was planning to keep the underlay (which seemed in good condition), but is currently missing a strip about 6" wide where the old wall used to be.

I have already ordered my carpet from Allied Carpets and they suggested that I slip the fitter a few quid to get the necessary underlay to fill the gap.

However, since plastering and painting, the underlay is in a bit of a mess, and since I will be using the room for lounging about, I am tempted to get new underlay to ensure that the floor as comfortable as possible.

Bizarrely on Ebay, I have found the 'top of the range' Duralay underlay (130lb) which works out 1/3 of the price that Allied would charge (just because its 2nds) and fitting it is a cinch.. So, once I have finished painting I am going to put down new underlay before the carpet fitter comes.

However, its been suggested that I 'tape' over the joints in the underlay.. This confuses me as I have never seen this done before. Over the pay few years, I have had lots of carpet replaced and I have never seen any tape over the joints (either in the carpet which is already down, or any new underlay which has been fitted).. Clearly not taping is a time saving measure but does not appear to have any ill effects.

So, since time is on my side, is it a good idea to 'tape' underlay (After stapling it to the floor)? If so, what sort of tape should you use? I obviously don't want anything which 'crackles' underfoot, but can't think of anything else I could use which is strong and flexible enough.

Is there any need to tape? If so, what tape should I use?

Any info on this would be appreciated

Jon

Reply to
jon.p.weaver