should DIY be a green cause

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 17:11:14 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

We've thrown boxes out when they are past the date printed on them for H&S reasons, I don;t normally do that at home unless they're 10+ years out of date not just last years.

Not all of it goes to waste. The previous owner of my house worked for one of the larger building contractors, and when I moved in, there was a large pile of second hand MDF (slightly trimmed down 8x4 15mm sheets) that had clearly been used as temporary partitioning during a refurbishment job (the stickers on it made it fairly clear where). It has made building bookshelves a very cheap pastime.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain
On 24/03/2016 13:27, Adrian wrote:

Indeed - if you can be in the right place at the right time, there can be a bonanza of free materials if they people running the site are amenable. I have a mate with a lockup full of ply and OSB from such an encounter!
--
Cheers,

John.
On 24/03/2016 20:21, John Rumm wrote:

When they built Meadowhall and i was working there I got so much timber from skips I filled two sheds and had to use some of it to make another shed to put the rest of it in. I've still got about fifty lengths of hardwood dowel: I just break a bit off every time I want to stir some paint.
I got a very large quantity of 10mm threaded bar in much the same way; dunno what I'll ever do with it all. I use it for rebar etc.
Bill
On Saturday, 26 March 2016 05:36:34 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

Use the same piece every time, then when you're really old you can carve it into somthing pretty.
NT
On 23/03/2016 03:39, Bill Wright wrote:

I do, but it needs working at.
One of the worst excesses of DIY has to be single household tool proliferation. So, this sort of thing:
http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/54244.aspx
DIY on its own as it stands probably wastes more than it saves.
Also, skill sharing. IMHO DIY gets bodged because the DIYer doesn't have the time/experience to get up to speed. It often takes me three or four times to get things even remotely right, whereas some things seem more natural. So share skills:
https://www.impossible.com
(don't know anything about them, but does seem to organise the principle of skill sharing)
And then there's the issue of putting trades people out of work.
--
Cheers, Rob

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 09:51:31 UTC, RJH wrote:

if it take you 4 times longer I can only assume you do it for fun. ;-)
So why don't people get pros in... the answer is usually cost.

Really , just seemed like an expensive place to shop.
£70 for an ipad case ! that's even more than Aple charge !
http://shop.impossible.com/collections/mens/products/fire-hose-ipad-case

Not just trades peolpe but what of all those economic migrants looking for work or ayslum seekers who don't want benifits but want to work. :-)
On 23/03/16 11:22, whisky-dave wrote:

More the aggravation.
A good pro is like gold.
Most (9/10ths when I was looking to have my roof retiled) either don't turn up, charge silly money, cancel at the last minute or just talk bullshit and look crap.
On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 11:58:35 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

Well a good pro is something else.

So what did you do. I had to have pros in as I don't own scaffolding and I doubt I could put it up by myself, otherwise the scaffolding company wouldn;t be employing 3 people to do it but would just employ one person wouldn't they ?
On 23/03/16 12:14, whisky-dave wrote:

Spend a lot of time finding one if the job was out of my league - or DIY if it wasn't :)

Just because its more efficient to have 3 people do it when you are doing it professionally doesn't mean that you can't do it yourself when you don't care about how long it takes.
There are a few things like pouring a massive great concrete slab where it isnt possible for one person to do it themselves, but there aren't that many of those situations with houses.
On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 18:11:42 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Yes I know, but I didn't have the tools to do it or the time.

there are plenty where it's so much easity to have a 2nd pair of hands.

Yes you could. In principle anyway.

The reason scaffolding companies employ 3 people is simply because it's more than 3 times as quick doing it that way. That's simply because with one person they're forever climbing up and down the ladder to secure both ends
But providing you used a hoist as you went there's no reason you couldn't do it all on your own. Fred Dibnah used to hoist scaffold boards to the tops of 200ft mill chimneys to give himself a platform to work from. Mind you he didn't have to climb down 200ft every time to lash up the next load.
michael adams

Oddly it's one thing TV always got pros in for. Scaffolding in a TV studio as part of the set. No matter how simple or small. I was told it's because the scaffold companies had their own insurance. Yet our own chippies would build things sometimes much larger.
--
*i souport publik edekashun.

BBC?
Does seem rather silly that there weren't a permanent scaffolding team (who could do other at-height work when not scaffolding)....

Things like H&S tend to mean you need to use those with suitable accreditation.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 23/03/2016 11:22, whisky-dave wrote:

Yep - curiously, I actually enjoy it and find it relaxing.

Not in my case, or I suspect many others. But that does bring into question whether 'It' needs doing in the first place ;-)

Rather missing the point - but it was more the skills exchange side of it that I was looking at.

Yes, that's what I meant: people working in the building trade.
--
Cheers, Rob

I do it myself because I get a better result because the time doesn't cost me anything and I can do whatever it takes to get the best result in the end.
Same with work on the car etc.

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 18:05:08 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

ve

Well I have a job so it doesnt always make sense to DIY as to me my time is worth money even if I didn't have a job. Some will spend hours in the garden pottering about, I havent been in mine this year so far.

Like your advice to get a pet put down is to buy a stun gun on ebay use it and then resell it where as I'd prefer to take the pet to the RSPCA where t hey'll do it for noithing or a mall donation which you don't really have to make. I think my way is better.

le

)

Your time isnt worth money when you do the DIY in the evenings or on the weekends when you aren't working.
The most you can validly claim is that you would rather do something else like veg out in front of the TV or down the pub etc.
And if you don't have a job, you time isnt worth anything when you would just do something else instead like veg out in front of the TV or read the paper etc.

I'm not into parasiting on other people like that.

More fool you with DIY.
With all of the marmalade, relish, beer, spirits, house, car, aircraft maintenance, computers, appliance repair, vegy growing etc etc etc I get a MUCH better result DIYing it than paying someone else to do it for me.
With some stuff like the heart stent, skin cancers, dentistry, glasses etc I get a better result paying someone to do it than I can do myself.