Short spiral energy saving bulbs

I need to find some short, BC, 40W equivalent (7-9W) energy saving (probably spiral) lamps. Max overall length about 80mm. TLC only seem to have 11W versions that are too long; toolstation, maplin and screwfix don't show the length - anybody know of any short ones that might fit the bill? I need about 12 of them.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

B&Q (Reading) had a 6-pack at the checkout. It contained 2

20W ones, and 4 lower powered ones -- can't recall what power they were. Pack was seven pounds something.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Asda sell Philips genie on offer at 47p, I bought 14W ones 11.5 cm total length, they do lower watt ones which will be smaller.

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

In message , Dave writes

I'm sure I saw some in packs of 3 or 4 in Maplins over Xmas. I've also bought them in B&Q in packs of 4.

Having said that, I think they were in a kind of special offer basket in both, rather than having a regular spot on the main shelves.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

shortest I can see are 104mm 5w from screwfix. I don't think you can get as short a bulb as you want, due to the size of the starter lump.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

They could be made shorter - given the demand. If you widen out the spiral, then the length could be reduced. The spiral could even be wrapped over the ballast - you'd need to go to higher temp, possibly special caps.

There is little demand as 104mm is the nominal length of a 100W bulb.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , Dave writes

These any good (85mm)? :

Reply to
chris French

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:49:25 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be Dave wrote this:-

There is a bulb called something like the mini extra, which can be found in big red tin sheds, in green boxes (sorry I can't remember more). These are as short as a standard bulb and fit in places where even the small spiral ones are too long. Very useful in short bulkhead fittings.

Reply to
David Hansen

I have a need for those short lamps at the school I work at. Last time I looked Focus had them in stock.

Other places do sell them, but they are a bit of a rareity, but can be found.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

have 89mm but that's still too long.

They have an awful lot of lamps - worth a look. A deeper search might find what you need

Reply to
Geoffrey

Ikea do the smallest ones I've seen. 7W, just a bit bigger (1cm or so longer) than a standard incandescent golf ball and much shorter than an incandescent GLS. I'm not sure if they do BC, though. I've seen ES and SES.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle