shelving

OK - maybe a stupid question but any help much appreciated!

I put up a corner shelf the other day and I now want to put up another corner shelf in the other corner of the room. The problem I have is that I do not know how to make sure that the other corner shelf will be at exactly the same height as the other one?

Thanks

Reply to
Sharma

Measure from the floor to the shelf......

Reply to
Adam Stark

Yes but normally floors and walls are not 100% straight/level - so I am guessing that it will be susceptible to errors (?)

Reply to
Sharma

Sounds like an ideal application for that laser level I keep *nearly* buying!

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

a) If the shelf is nearer to the ceiling, measure from the ceiling, so that they both appear to be the same, if nearer to the floor, measure from the floor. If in the middle, find the mid point of each wall.

b) Get a length of clear hose pipe that will loop between the two sides of the room, attach one end of the hose to the fixed shelf, and the other end to the opposite corner, fill the pipe with water until the level reaches the shelf level, then the level on the opposite side should be accurate.

Then fix the shelf, and notice that they both do not seem level, so resort back to a)

Reply to
Gavin Gillespie

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

You are right that walls and floors may well not be straight or level.

Generally, you would be trying to achieve one of two things under these circumstances.

a) That the shelves are level with one another in absolute terms regardless of the room. The cheap way to do this is with a length of clear plastic tube filled with water and with no air bubbles inside. Fix one end to the already fixed shelf such as the bottom of the meniscus is level with the top or bottom of the shelf. At the other end, offer the tube up to the wall and mark the shelf position to correspond. You can buy this as a complete package with a clamp to fix it quite cheaply. Alternatively, a spinning laser level will do the job at a somewhat higher price.

Typically, you would use this absolute levelling for fixing shelf brackets for a single shelf, simply to avoid things rolling off.

b) That the shelves look "correct" with respect to the rest of the room. This might be in a bathroom where there are tiles on the walls. You might choose to align with edges of tiles. The other way would be to measure from the floor or ceiling as already suggested. .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Measure down from the ceiling, as that is what your eye will be comparing the shelf height with - not the floor.

dg

Reply to
dg

dg wrote:

Use a length of translucent plastic tubing taped between the two shelf positions. Fill with water, which will 'find' its own level and give you two reference levels. Alternatively, use a laser level.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

water level spirit level and long bit of straight timber.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or get a cheapo laser level. As a recent convert I can now make things nicely horizontal around a room just be swinging the laser round.

Alternatively pay a bit more and get a rotating laser. That way you only need set it once and you've got a mark all around the room.

PoP

Reply to
PoP