Shaving cream

Forget shaving creams etc - forget handbasins - shave in the shower for the best shave ever. While doing that and shaving in 45 seconds without the mess, don't get ripped off buying a fogless shower shaving mirror that doesn't work. There are loads of them (that dont work). Check out themirrus.com - it will probably change you life in a small way!

Reply to
contact

Mirrors are for sissies - I shave in the shower by touch.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

What part are you touching? :-)

Reply to
fictitious

What actually is the function of shaving soap? I used to get refills for my beautiful wooden bowl religiously at Boots, but they have ceased to stock it. So I am forced to use ordinary soap, which as far as I can see it just as good.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

It's just so you can see where you have been but it's part of the paraphenalia that gives joy to the ritual and (in deference to your address):

'Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.'

wouldn't have been the same without the bowl of lather.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Many, many years ago was talking with a senior public health person. No idea how we got there, but this subject arose. He very firmly told me never to use ordinary soap for shaving - but I didn't get an explanation. Wish I had...

Reply to
Rod

Plenty of foams and gels on the market - they last ages. Soap is not a good idea.

I believe that foams and gels just act to retain moisture and provide a lubrication.

Reply to
John

Easy, grow a beard :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've shaved using ordinary soap for the last 30+ years and haven't experienced any problems. Never seen the point in buying all those fancy soaps, gels or aftershave lotions. Same with anti-antiperspirant. I use creosote. 10p per gallon. :-)

Reply to
David in Normandy

It seems to give me an easier shave, even if it does nothing for you.

I quite like Palmolive - it's dirt cheap compared to the "pansy" gels, and lasts forever, as you only need a tiny amount (

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I bet every time you shave you think of JJ. You will now, anyway ;-).

Reply to
Gib Bogle

In the shower you certainly do not need shaving cream. I believe the function of the cream (beyond the lubrication that soap provides) is to retain moisture - not in short supply in the shower. A bar of soap and a Bic razor, which lasts me a few weeks.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

About 17 years here also without any problems. Gave up shaving products when I went back packing around China and the Far East for several months. Didn't want to carry anything more than absolutely neccessary. So just a toothbrush, razor, soap and shampoo (washing hair with soap really doesn't work...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bet that fatigued ponce "because you're worth it" uses a mirror.

Reply to
john

watch out for those shop window reflections!

Reply to
miloz

Almost all the supermarkets and most cheap 'drugstores' stock real shaving soap, in a plastic bowl. Much better than the cream or the gel stuff. Currently I'm using Erasmic, which smells rather nice.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

What's happened to the real shaving soap, in a stick? Have I been asleep too long?

Reply to
<me9

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I avoid mirrors on principle ;-)

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Over 20 years ago I went from messy soap in rucksac/pannier to a 150ml (lemon juice) bottle of Ecover washing-up liquid - it's OK as soap, shampoo and for washing clothes. Very little needed, so will last 2 - 4 weeks and do everything.

Reply to
PeterC