Shared Mains supply wall box

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am just about to buy a house but have 1 last concern. The house (

1950ish semi) has a wallbox on the outside - it feeds the house main electrical supply, as well as cables up the outside wall, along th eaves, and across to the next set of semi's.

So, not sure what the voltage/freq wtc is of the cabling, but m concern is (and please bear with my new age worry!) about the EMFs tha this might throw around the house. I presume the cables must carry mor power than a normal ring main and hence a stronger EMF.

Do you know if there is anyway the electrical supplier will move th wallbox and replace with underground cables?

Thanks

-- jb07

Reply to
jb07

on 31/10/2005, jb07 supposed :

Higher current only, the EMF and frequency will be the same as at your wall sockets - 50Hz and 240v, unless there is 3ph (4 wires, in which case it will be 415v).

Very unlikely - unless you were willing to fund the move (very expensive), or the installation were due for replacement anyway.

If your concern is 'radiation' from the wires, then you should be more concerned about the 'radiation' from the internal wiring of your home. You live in much closer proximity to this.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do you have a TV? The EMF from that is far higher than the cables.

Reply to
dennis

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:14:14 +0000,it is alleged that jb07 spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Most likely those cables will be either concentric (kind of like large mains rated co-ax in construction) if you're on a PME system, or if older, lead sheathed and armoured, in either case, well screened and forming a 'closed circuit' with very little external electromagnetic field.

If you start mentioning "EMFs" [By which I assume you mean electromagnetic field rather than the more usual electromotive force], the power company are likely to think 'potential troublemaker'. If you tell them it's for visual/aesthetic reasons, they'll likely quote you a [largish] price for moving them.

Reply to
Chip

mains wirniog carries equal currents in opposite directions on L and N, so there is no external magnetic field.

The cable is 240v 50Hz, or possibly 415v

Suggest worrying more about the genuine problems.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You've been reading too many tabloid science pages.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Saw EMF in concert once. Was interesting to say the least!

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy