Servicing of domestic boilers

Yes, I think there was something on Watchdog about this - they were taking on old boilers, doing the annual service and then saying when it failed they couldn't get the parts and quoting £2.5k for a new boiler. The boiler was actually on their 'no parts list', yet they accepted it, and serviced it (and charged for the free labour+parts cover) whilst it was on that list. Turned out, local plumbers depot had the part for less than £50. BG were 'nice' enough to refund the year's payments (rather than refund the £2.5k they conned the person out of, although they did get a new boiler out of it) but nothing more than that.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I remember when I was buying our present washing machine, the laughter from the salesman when I rejected his persistent requests for buying a service contract. "What will happen when if it breaks down ?" he asked, "I'll repair it myself " I responded. He looked at me as if I'd just announced I'd spent the last two weeks on holiday on Pluto. Funilly enough exactly 367 days later it did break down, but I repaired it for less than a quid in parts (and a whole afternoon driving around industrial estates)

However, with a wife and two teenage boys many repair jobs are mission critical, and I do spend a lot of time working away from home. Therefore peace of mind style solutions are needed. YMMV.

Reply to
Mark Carver

I can see that, but not the need for a service contract. I'd just get it fixed if and when it needed it. Insurance is generally poor value for money, as admin and profit charges tilt the odds in 'their' favour, usually rather heavily. Now some form of mutual service contract would be a good idea.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A friend of mine bought a DVR recorder at Richer Sounds. They sold him a

3 year cover plan for 60 quid, however if nothing goes wrong in three years time he gets his 60 quid back. For the loss of interest on the cash over 3 years (i.e. bugger all at present rates) this seems quite a good deal ? Can't see DSG/Comet doing such a thing !
Reply to
Mark Carver

My mum does have the same deal on a Comet extended guarantee on a colour TV: (a) they make loads of money on these anyway; and (b) to get your money back you have to claim it within quite a tight window and they reckon (probably rightly) that most people will have forgotten about this completely or miss the window or fail to include the docs specified.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Having just bought a new TV, and done a fairly vigorous search for the best price, John Lewis with their inclusive 5 year warranty and delivery beat all the others. Strange, given their overheads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Mogweed

Maybe but doesn't your "bits box" have an old but servicable valve in it or maybe you have new one kicking about anyway? I think I have at least a couple of new valves about the place somewhere ATM and and another half dozen old ones, in the "scrap brass" box waiting to be cashed in.

I do agree that doing plumbing with vistors about to arrive is a not a Good Idea but then I don't think having a plumber grovelling about the place is that much better.

I'd turn the rad off at both ends, that should stop the leak unless it's from the valve pipe join, in which case tighten it and job done. Or get out the auxillary heating, apologise to who ever gets that room and supply additional blankets.

What you have no auxillary heating or spare blankets, oh dear...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So you always have problems on bank holidays? And they're always so urgent they disable the system so can't wait?

I'm afraid you sound like an advert for BG etc insurance schemes.

If *everyone* only needed assistance well out of normal hours, the premiums would rocket.

A couple of fan heaters and an immersion heater give better backup for a central heating system than any service contract - unless you *really* believe they can fix any fault within seconds. Which I think you'll find others will say they can't. The likelihood of BG etc carrying every spare you might need on a bank holiday is remote - to say the least. My brother had a four day wait for spares from BG after calling them out in normal hours.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've not seen the Richer Sounds policy. However, it is always worth reading the small print.

It is often the case that a cover plan will not cover:

(a) lasers or heads

(b) natural wear and tear

Graham

Reply to
graham

(Most) neighbours are more likely to have some spare blankets and fan heaters than they are to have some obscure boiler bits though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Exactly not my experience. We would have much preferred to buy our new TV recently from JL but at GBP 1794 their five year guarantee was just a little expensive. We bought the exact same model from RGB Direct for GBP

1234.87.
Reply to
stejonda

What's more, the 3 years is an *entension* to the 1 yr manufacturers guarantee that he probably got. They also lend you a replacement whilst yours is getting checked/fixed.

As someone else has touched on, however, he's only got a month within which to claim his =A360 back so he ought to find some way of reminding himself of this - something like

ought to suffice. Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

The message from Mark Carver contains these words:

It is still a bit of a con though. Loss of 3 years interest (say 5% pa) and at least half the same again inflation loss.

FWIW in a moment of weakness I was persuaded to do something similar on a Dyson (bought at Comet). 50 quid for 3 years cover with money back at the end if no claim. But there are of course conditions imposed merely to fleece the suckers who are foolish enough to partake. First retain both the insurance contract and the invoice and then remember to make the refund claim within the one month following the end of the 3 year period.

If a product is so unreliable that it needs to be insured against failure within 3 years than it is probably not worth buying in the first place.

Reply to
roger

And remember your (free) statutory rights against the retailer if they flog you something not of satisfactory quality.

David

Reply to
David McNeish