Finding gas main?

I need to drill a 20mm hole through an outer wall of my house to run some pipes for network cabling through. Problem is, the place it needs to go is disturbingly close to the little white box on the wall that says "British Gas" on it (where the gas main enters the house)

Any recommendations as to how I can find out the exact locations of the gas pipes inside the walls before I blow myself and the neighbourhood up? (I don't have any house build plans, unfortunately. It was built in the early 80s and I moved in about 2 years ago)

- Christiaan

Reply to
Christiaan Keet

The gas pipe should not run within the wall, only directly through it, so you should be able to see from inside the white meter housing box where the pipe goes. (You should have a key for this box since it gives you access to the emergency control valve to shut off the gas in an emergency.)

PLiG?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Alas, it doesn't. The box is on the outside of the wall, the pipe disappears but never appears again in the inside of the house until it gets to the kitchen, two doors down...

Yup.

- Christiaan

Reply to
Christiaan Keet

PLiG? - wassat?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Is yours a fairly modern house? Are the walls dry lined plasterboard? if so then the gas piping is probably behind the plasterboard and will have been carcassed into the house as part of the construction process. It is possible to use equipment to inject a signal into the pipework and trace its route with a locating device..

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin