Seized stop valve

Hi guys, luckily I went looking for my water supply stop valve in a non-emergency, because when I found it, it was seized solid (incidentally, also buried by a criminal kitchen redesign). I've tried moderate force, vinegar (for limescale) and penetrating oil. All without any success. Is there any point heating it/cooling it? or does anyone have any other useful hints before I have to ring a plumber to free it? Eastern Angle

Reply to
easternangle

No hints...but if you do have to ring a plumber, you might find it helpful to do what I did.

I took up the water company's fixed price offer to fit a lever stop valve. I think it was 79.95. It took the guy over three hours, due to the awkward location and the state of the pipes and the old stop tap. Including parts, I think I did very well.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I take it this is not the water valve in the street - I'm in Scotland and it's called a toby but I don't know if that's a universal name. When they're stuck, the trick is to hit the key sharply on top with a hammer to free the valve - would that be worth trying with yours?

Trouble with heat is that you may damage the gland seal. The penetrating oil may take some days to work - is it worth getting it well doused and then coming back in a week's time ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Percussive maintenance. Give it a sharp tap downwards. Also worth trying to turn it both ways. Soak it in Plus Gas or WD40 overnight.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Undo the gland nut and and repeat the whole exercise. Be ready for some leakage. It may be that the packing has dried and hardened.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks - I'll remember that one. This pipe is so badly sited it took me years to find it(literally) and it will be a right b****r to replace Eastern Angle

Reply to
easternangle

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.com contains these words:

Gently waggle it backwards and forwards with plenty of plusGas penetrating oil. WD40 is next to useless for this - it's for keeping metal dry, not lubricating.

Don't rush it, go gently and use heat if needed. If you succeed in freeing it up, good, but lubricate it properly and don't leave it fully open, back it off half a turn or so from the end of the thread.

I found my outside stopcock yesterday while digging in the garden to clear space for a new fence. Or at least, I found the hatch for it. There's a vertical bit of salt-glazed pipe going down about 2' and then a flat smooth mud floor.

I expect I'll have to investigate further. Or get a water meter fitted and let them sort it out for me.

Reply to
Guy King

On Mon, 1 May 2006 19:00:58 +0100, Guy King had this to say:

I have the same sort of outside stopcock and had a water meter fitted, but they fitted the meter at the indoor stopcock position. With an outreader, so that they can read the meter whilst standing in the back garden (if I remember to unlock the side gate!).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It might not even be your stop tap. The one I assumed was mine was found to be next door's. The one nearest their property is ours. This was discovered when the PTB turned it off in order to change it for a meter for next door, when next doors water continued to run. The one that feeds us is full of mud and water and I've never found the tap, the water board man with the key on a stick found it, prolly with years of practice.

Reply to
<me9

The message from Frank Erskine contains these words:

Bastards - I was hoping they'd unbung the stopcock for me.

Is the pavement tap theirs or mine?

Reply to
Guy King

The message from contains these words:

Oh, no, this is most definitely mine. I know 'cos I lifted the flap on Lynn's and John's on either side of me to see if theirs were the same - and they are.

Reply to
Guy King

On Mon, 1 May 2006 23:31:37 +0100, Guy King had this to say:

It's theirs, apparently. There's one point though - if they fit a meter in the house, they're implicitly adopting the bit of pipe from the outside stopcock to their meter, which could save a bit of hassle at a later date if it leaks! If it was still yours, you could, if you wished, fit a tee-piece before the meter to abstract unmetered water...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Undo the gland nut and repeat the whole exercise. Be ready for some leakage. It may be that the packing has dried and hardened.

John

Reply to
John

That's right - it might be worth tapping the handle of the stopcock "in" rather than "around", &/or digging out the gland packing 'till you can turn the thing. Don't forget to have some replacement gland packing when you do this (and something to catch a trickle of water).

Reply to
Chris Bacon