seized grinder nut

Maybe with a wide, flat nut on a wide flat plate it's the same thing as guage blocks. Whatever that thing is. Or aren't they flat enough?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I would be seriously worried about fractured gear teeth with using any impact device, driver or wrench.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Having second thoughts about the Bosch SDS Clic. The standard nut is reversible (I think) so that it either fits into the sunken centre of the disc or flat against it. The web reviews suggest that there's a right and a wrong way round to fit the Bosch. Maybe someone can verify that?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

But I think the OP said that he'd managed to get a Mole wrench onto the shaft - so that would take the reaction rather than the gears.

[Irrelevant now anyway, 'cos he's got it off by other means.]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Ages ago, I bought a near new used car. The handbrake was pathetic, but being an auto didn't much matter. Although I did mention it at service time. The first MOT was done my the main dealer I'd bought the car from, and who'd serviced it since.

The next MOT I arranged and it failed on the handbrake, so I decided to investigate it myself. The handbrake was drum brakes inside the rear discs.

One adjuster was seized solid. Stripped the mechanism down and removed the adjuster. Got it freed up in the vice - with some effort. There were no signs of corrosion or whatever - it was spotless. Just tightened so hard on the end stop it couldn't be moved in place.

On reassembly, discovered the cable on that side had been adjusted wrongly in an attempt to get it working. Adjusting everything correctly resulted in a handbrake which passed the MOT. And me never using that dealer again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)