Stand by electric fire 'carbon heater'

When our central heating boiler failed we were recently left perishing cold. To forestall this situation again, i have just set about looking at small electric fires as a 'back-up' to heat only one small room.

From experience years ago we found that the fan heaters seemed to warm up a small space more quickly than the radiant type filament heaters did.

Looking now afresh i see what seems to me a new type of electric fire, a carbon-heater.

i also notice it gets a lot of good reviews. Is this new type now the best way foreward to heat one small room quickly with electric? thanks.

Reply to
john west

Watts is watts, radiant heaters are ok for very localised heating but not very good at heating the whole room airmass, and the overall heat 'quality' is poor - stratified heat.

In order of quick heat - best to worst, I would say radiant heater (although very localized), fan heater, convection heater, oil filled radiator.

In order of heating comfort - best to worst, I would say oil filled radiator, fan heater, convection heater, radiant heater

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I think "Carbon" is just the model name, looks like a radiant type to me

Reply to
Andy Burns

I really don't think you'll beat a fan heater as a standby for when the boiler is down. Small to store, too.

And that 1kW Argos is going to be at a big disadvantage to a 3 kW fan heater before you even start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Surely it's just another type of radiant heater with a gee-whiz space-age hi-tech impress-the-masses element. I don't think you can beat a fan-fire for rapidly warming a room.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It's just a radiant heater. Even if it did/does use carbon as the heating element, it really makes no difference. Other than the fact that such elements wouldn't last too well.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And if the electricity goes off neither will work. You need to be looking ar a solid or portable gas/liquid fuel heater

Reply to
harry

Also anything with a fan tends to get annoyingly noisy after a while. I have one here and yes, its fast and good, but oh the noise it makes. The ones with normal fans inside are a little better but bigger of course.

I've not heard of carbon heaters. Oil filled are ok for keeping background heat in a room say when storage eaters are cooled down before their next boost. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

perishing

heaters did.

There was a company selling electric radiators supposedly containing graphene that were supposed to be 70% more efficient than other electric heaters. Obviously bollocks as electric heaters all have a thermal efficiency of 100%. And they kept overheating and going up in flames. It was on one of those TV consumer programmes.

Reply to
Max Demian

I wouldn't be surprised to see 'digitally controlled' in an advert for heaters such as these, meaning that you turn the knob with your fingers!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Chris Hogg used his keyboard to write :

A fan heater, or oil will warm the air in a room - a radiant heater will warm up what ever the IR land upon. If that is you, you will feel warmer quicker, but 1Kw of heat is 1Kw of heat - only the delivery method will vary.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Alternatively, the thermostat is binary. On or off...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Surely they must be smart by now? The most important thing for a backup, heater is to be able to switch it on and off from the train?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why not switch on a small incendiary device only protected by a cheap fan and a crude bimetal strip with potentially welded contacts remotely? What can possibly go wrong?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Discover the use of smart fridges. They have an electronic calender on them. An essential for any fridge.

What we need now is a smart washing machine with a built in camera. So you can watch the washing go round from anywhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bosch do a fridge with cameras inside so you can watch stuff go off if you want.

Reply to
dennis

I thought it was power that was measured in KW rather than heat .

Reply to
whisky-dave

LOL! Watching mould grow! A new slant on 'watching paint dry'.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Could upload it to yuotube or FB or twitter rather than store mit locally

Reply to
whisky-dave

Power is measured in KW. Energy is measured in Kwh. Heat is just one form of energy.

Reply to
harry