Seized Bolt

Hi

I have a seized bolt/clamp on my outboard motor.

It and alloy bolt going though a cast alloy thread.

It is now seized solid. I have tried WD40 and currently have it soaking in petrol.

Is there anything else I should try to free it off?

I'm reluctant to use heat as the cast alloy is painted

Cheers

Reply to
KinRsole

Double spaced lines are a pain to read

Hot air gun, tapping with a small hammer and plenty of patience

Reply to
Robbo

Reply to
KinRsole

Proper penetrating fluid such as Plus Gas.

HTH -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Beat me too it !! yep plusgas, left overnight and it should be fine, WD40 well over rated in my opinion, plusgas for freeing stuff 3 in 1 spray for lubing most stuff, silicone spray for others :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

I would be tempted to saw it off and replace it if theres room, if its that badly seized its doubtful you will be able to rescue it.

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela

KinRsole submitted this idea :

Plus Gas is reputed to be the best.

Try tightening a little, that sometimes works.

Any heat/cold cycling will help, even boiling water and dry ice.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

end of scale - an Acro prop that's been left out in the weather. I haven' t tried Plus Gas yet but it's going to be a bash with a big hammer job as it would need a pretty powerful heat source to make much impact.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Hi Kin, On my ole Honda Botormike I had this very problem and a rounded-off bolt head - I ended up drilling off the head of the bolt (centrepunched, drilled with bit the same-size-as-or-just-larger-than the minor diameter of the bolt thread until the head freed off, so I could remove the bolted-on-bit and get to the remains of the bolt with Large Mole Grip). As has been said, Plusgas or similar helps a lot, as do diesel and hydraulic fluid (both "wick" down the thread like a proper perpetrating oil ) - if you have real problems, drill through the (exact!) centre of the bolt and try an easy-out (DO NOT apply excessive torque - they tend to expand the remains of the bolt and make it even tighter, then snap leaving a piece or hardened tool steel in the hole... Bugger) and if it fails, *carefully* drill out to the minor diameter of the thread and pick out the remaining spiral of thread, run a matching tap through lubricated with white spirit (for aluminium alloys).

Now I just need to work out how to get the broken off end of a ball-drive allen key out of a bolt in my g/f's botormike's fork yoke, so I can change the blown fork seal...

HTH, Dave H. (The engineer former known as Homeless)

Reply to
Dave H.

Impact driver - preferably a pneumatic one.

If you have access to an oxy-acetylene torch use a fine nozzle and heat just the bolt head for a bit before using the impact driver.

Reply to
Peter Parry

This sometimes works [at your own risk, try it on another bit first, no liability etc etc] Try to get hold of some aluminium ammonium sulphate (alum). Form a little well around the offending head. Mix up the alum and drop into the well [concentration unknown, sorry] It takes a while but the alum will dissolve the steel and leave the aluminium in tact. It is many many years since I last did this, but it worked. but BE CAREFUL otherwise you will have a pile of scrap on your hands HTH

Reply to
Grumpy owd man