Seeing wet-edge of paint on a ceiling

When emulsion painting a ceiling with paint of the same colour as is already on, I have great difficulty detecting the wet-edge of where I have just painted. And this makes it difficult to know where to apply the paint next.

Is there anything I can do to make the just-painted wet edge show up better, so I do not end up with missed patches?

I was thinking that a difference between wet paint and dry paint is that light is reflected better from wet paint. So I wondered if it would help to get a bright, cold-running light, such as a 500W security light, and point it at the ceiling from the floor. Has anyone tried this, and did it help?

Anode.

Reply to
Anode

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:31:08 +0100, "Anode" mused:

You can get emulsion which when wet is pink but dries white. Not sure where it was from.

A 500W security light is most definitely not cold running.

Reply to
Lurch

Dulux Magic White - see

(or

Never tried it - is very expensive compared with conventional stuff IIRC

David

Reply to
Lobster

Crown. I don't know if it is still made.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Thanks for the comments on white emulsion that changes colour as it dries, but I am looking for something with general application to any colour.

Anode

Reply to
Anode

Strong daylight seems to be the thing that really shows up the difference... perhaps a string while fluorescent light at a low angle might help?

Reply to
John Rumm

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:10:30 +0100, Peter Johnson mused:

Someone makes it because I saw someone using it the other week and I know it had just been bought, or bought within the last few Months at least.

Reply to
Lurch

It sounds like it doesn't need painting to me.

Have a beer.

Reply to
R D S

I've struggled with this problem, especially white on white. I reckon a headlight might work but haven't got round to trying it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

An interesting idea, though I suppose a battery light around the head would not show up well in ordinary daylight. I've seen plasterers use a strip fluorescent light in a vertical position, standing on the floor, in front of a wall they were working on. If such a light is helpful for work on a wall, it suggests it may be helpful on a ceiling if positioned suitably. Though the plasterers would be looking for undulations I suppose, whilst I am looking for wet edges, which is a bit different.

Reply to
Anode

===============================

It's easier to use an undercoat of a different colour. Look on the tin (or maker's instructions) for a suggested undercoat colour.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Smoking heavily for a while prior to painting may also help.

Reply to
R D S

I've used a double 5' flourescent fitting in the past. Suitably aligned it seemed to work, but good daylight always shows up the bit you missed. After a few coats you get it right.

Reply to
<me9

That seems a useful strategy to have available. Thank you.

Anode

Reply to
Anode

Thank you for this helpful information. Did you make some sort of moveable stand to hold the fluorescent fitting at ceiling level?

Anode

Reply to
Anode

I think it's the angle of the light rather than the strength. I found the pink tinted white paint pretty useless. Maybe it's my eyes.