Securing a garden gate

Need to secure my 6'high garden gate, but I want to be able to lock/unlock from either side.

Not keen on the rim lock idea, current thinking is a chain & padlock.

Any better ideas?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I suspect, knowing our garden gate, that it will change size/shape depending on the weather. This would make using a mortice lock difficult. Your idea seems a good one. Just make sure you get a weatherproof padlock.

Reply to
charles

Probably not applicable in a urban situation, but here on the farm with an influx of grandchildren this Easter, and a similar gate giving direct access to a stream at the back of the house, I tied it with a suitable length of baler twine in a fetching shade of orange . Still not been able to stop them all bouncing on the fibreglass cover of the sewage plant!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

IME it is difficult to go more than a couple of paces around any farm without finding something being held together with baler twine.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Indeed, it's the agricultural version of gaffer tape.

Reply to
charles

Yes, the standard contents of a tractor cab are:

Dog (>

Reply to
Java Jive

In message , Java Jive writes

A number of well read copies of the Sun newspaper.

Reply to
Bill

I'd like something as well - preferably remotely controllable. So that I could stop the spam delivers opening the gate!

Reply to
polygonum

In message , Bill writes

And any amount of crap picked up from roadside fields bounded by public highways:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

How about some sort of electric latch? Could be key operated from either side (two switches) or radio fob.

Actually, after consideration, I need just such a system. Keypads would entertain local youth but has anyone come across a cheap, fob operated kit?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Easy enough to do with one of the telephone door opening devices that just move a plate back on a solenoid from what is otherwise a normal front door lock keyed from both sides.

I also use a pair of electro magnets to hold a sliding gate closed but manually operate able in the event of a power failure.

Triggered by a phone call.

AJH

Reply to
news

What's the power consumption of that?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think *energise to open* would minimise running costs.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

However, my application is to control an access from the public highway for tenants who may be laden with shopping in any weather conditions.

I envisage the robust sort of 12V solenoid found on agricultural machinery releasing a spring loaded latch securing the actual door/gate lock.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Apart from the dog and driver, you might be describing the contents of the pockets of a farmer's waxed jacket and I'm not sure about the dog.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

How long will any of that last outside?

Holes, chain and (weatherproof) padlock is the relaible KISS solution.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They're rated at 500mA but I'm running them on 18V instead of 24V. The gate opens about 100 times a day so the daily 0.2kWh isn't very significant.

I went with the magnets rather than the latch for two reasons, it meant I could have a low closing torque on the motor clutch, and hence less chance of a crush injury if the optical switches weren't adequate and so the gate could be manually opened in the event of a power cut, it's a vehicular access gate rather than a security gate.

AJH

Reply to
news

Next door has a combi cable lock (bicycle type) about 18" long. It goes round one of the uprights and the (plastic) soil stack. Not super-secure but probably no worse than the gate itself. It was supplied by her boyfriend - he's an officer in the Met! I'd been trying to think of a way of doing it and, quite honestly, realised that any sort of sash lock or similar wouldn't stay alligned for long; same with a combi bolt. The cable can be pulled through, so when I've used it from the outside I push it so that the lock is on the inside - it's all about delaying tactics.

Reply to
PeterC