SDS newbie question: why does chisel rotate?

Half the group are laughing, thinking I didn't switch the rotary stop on. But I did, honest.

Anyway, I switch it to chisel mode, and chisel away at the wall. This works well on the whole, but the chuck slowly rotates, so the flat plane of the chisel does not stay where I want it to. It does not rotate unprovoked, but only when a torque is applied, e.g. when chiselling against a bump.

Is this meant to happen? Or is it broken? Or am I doing something wrong? Or something else?

Thanks! David P.

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards

You need a slightly better SDS drill that has not only a rotary off but a rotary *lock"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not all SDS drills lock the rotation when in rotary stop mode. However, I would say that one which generates rotary motion in the way you describe is faulty or not fit for purpose. If you said what make/model, someone may be able to confirm or refute this as normal behaviour.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Make?

Reply to
Andy Hall

My 30 quid screwfix special does exactly the same thing. Haven't used it for a while, but I seem to recall just holding the chisel would fix it. Don't tell H&S.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

IMHO; using a SDS chisel (bit) and the SDS drill (rotary stop) is just like using a manual chisel and lump hammer. I hold and guide the chisel with my left hand while the SDS drill body is supplying the 'thumping' (technical term) that the hammer would produce: It's less tiring and more accurate as the bit thumper produces more effort and faster than one can hit a chisel with a hammer. It's very heartening to discover just how much heavy thumping and delicate tapping can be produce from one tool.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

It is a known problem with (typically) the budget SDS drills, and indeed some of the older quality brands. Better ones allow the rotation to be locked off, and the best will allow you to set the angle of the chisel before locking it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sounds like the design of some lower end models. My DeWalt allows the chisel to be locked in a variety of positions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even the cheapest lock if you use a bit of coathanger and a wire tie.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for your advice everyone.

My SDS is fairly cheapo - Black and Decker, cost =A365. Looks like it just does not have rotary lock. Still, it will do - I almost bought one that did not even have rotary stop, not realising that some of them do not have it.

Regards, DP (the OP)

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards

Interesting. How do you do this?

Thanks, David P (the OP)

Reply to
myheadisonbackwards

You bend it around the chisel/chuck and a suitable spot on the drill. It has to have enough spring in it to cope with the small amount of movement you get with the hammer.

Reply to
dennis

My £200 Dewalt doesnt have a lock either, which rather surprised me, but being as I bought it as a drill, it didnt really concern me. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Which model? I thought they all had locks if they have rotation stop.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

18v XRP, model no.DW999 iirc. It's yellow if that helps! :-) Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:39:48 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" mused:

DeWalt or in general? In general, not all do.

Reply to
Lurch

Turns out it's a cordless. Not surprised they don't encourage you too use it as a chisel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - a cordless. Didn't consider those.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:59:08 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" mused:

My Makita 24V with rotary stop locks.

Reply to
Lurch