SDS Drill brushes

I bought a cheapo (McKeller) SDS drill about a year ago. I haven't used it very often but, when I have, it's been incredibly useful (makes chases and cutting holes for electrical boxes a breeze). Yesterday it stopped working (stuttering and sparking). It came with a spare pair of brushes - changed them and it was fine. Now - the question is, where can I get some more? If I can't, then its days are numbered and (shock horror) I might be forced to go and buy a good one. I got it when a branch of Focus was closing down, so no point in going back there (!) and I somehow doubt that another branch would carry them. Googling mostly brings up wire brushes for drills, rather than carbon brushes: I thought I might find 'carbon brushes are us.co.uk' but no such luck... Does anyone know of a good source?

Reply to
GMM

In article , GMM scribeth thus

SDS drill about a year ago. I haven't

Yes.. Now that you've seen what an excellent and versatile tool an SDS drill is dump that old thing and go and invest in something like a Makita;))...

FWIW the Two items I bought with *that brand name on lasted less than a year;(....

Reply to
tony sayer

Brushes are fairly standard design. You can file them down to fit the slots they slide in. Keep the old ones / measure the replacement ones before use. Search on google for "carbon brushes" (include the quotes). If you can find a local spares place, take the spare ones you have along and they should have something similar. I filed down some old brushes to make replacements for a no-name drill and it worked fine. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Well, after including the quotes and finding some sources, I'm wondering whether the cost of them (haven't found the 'right' ones, but comparable sets look like they'd be a tenner or so) could possibly be justified for a POS like that - I wonder if I can convince SWMBO that the Makita is a sound investment?.....

Reply to
GMM