Screwfix query

Managed to break a drill bit last night, and decided it was time to stock up. Ordered from Screwfix and picked up as I went past this morning.

The woman went off to get the little wallet they put orderes in, and came back asking "are you an electrician?" I said no (not getting into the fact that I do my own electrical work).

She then produced my order - three MCBs!

Quickly sorted out, but it set me to wondering - are Screwfix into the Part P police thing?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Had your theory been correct, would they not have refused the sale? Surely more likely they were checking if you were eligible for trade discount?

Reply to
Scott

No Prat P police are involved. They are trying to sign you up into their trade department.

Reply to
ARW

heavens no.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

My local Screwfix has recently changed.

A month or so ago they were operating an Argos type system. Warehouse hidden, someone serves you and hands out a ticket and then you wait for

10 minutes+ while someone else to picks the items. A poor customer experience.

Now the warehouse can be seen (the partitions have been removed) and the person taking my order fetched the goods aka the toolstation way.

Reply to
alan_m

Next stage will be remove the counters, install self-scan checkouts, and you will be able to collect your own goods and walk out with them in your pocket (aka the B&Q way)

The space saved can be used for a new cushions display.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I did wonder.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They couldn't refuse it because I wasn't buying MCBs!

Reply to
Bob Eager

They do that to me occasionally. I usually reply "I tend to buy electricals from TLC [true] but seeing as I was here for something else..."

They give up at that point.

Once I did explain I was a DIYer - they said I could still sign up if I brought my Part P exam cert in (EAL-II DI).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well data collection is what everyone does these days. If you had said yes you would get loads of adverts for electrician stuff no doubt. The pioneers of this kind of thing way back when were Tandy of course who seemed able to sent you targeted little newspaper offers in the post which uncannily had details of things similar to what you had already bought from them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've never understood this method of poorly targeted advertising. Offer you goods that you have ALREADY purchased. When I purchased my TV I had targeted adverts from the same retailer only offering alternative TVs and not any of the other goods they also sold etc.

When I occasionally disable my web Ad-blocker I get targeted adverts for the site and item I have previously visited. If I was looking for something to purchase I would have already: i) made a note of the site with the best price/delivery/reputation ii) already purchased the item when visiting the site iii) rejected the offer.

Reply to
alan_m

+1 I use Booking.com for hotel booking on holidays etc and generally very happy. However they do something similar. Two weeks ago having booked an overnight budget hotel prior to an early morning flight out of Heathrow, they proceeded to offer other hotels at Heathrow in the near future. Then they asked for feedback on the hotel which I willingly gave to help others and to really cap it all and show their (software) stupidity, asked me to review Heathrow as if it were a tourist destination! w4nkers!
Reply to
Bob Minchin

I don't think there is much to understand... It is simply an example of poor marketing.

A lot of people are clearly not as meticulous as you (or me...) or they would not do it/companies would not pay for it. Just look how far targeted marketing has taken Google in 20 years.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Google is different. You search for something and the first item in the list is the retailer with (or without) that product who pays the most to advertise with Google.

It used to be that some retailers sold absolutely everything. Type in "dog shit" and a pop up would appear saying that Amazon sold it.

Reply to
alan_m

I'll take some of that back. I went into SF today. Severed immediately but then waited 10 minutes for someone else to pick the item. During that time 3 customers, 3 staff at the front of house including one with a job welcoming customers through the door and couple of staff seen in the warehouse part of the building.

Reply to
alan_m

I'd complain if I were you.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yup - ring up and get cut off!

Reply to
PeterC

But they are selling the 'targetted' marketing to someone else, they don't use/depend on it themselves. Personally I think advertising is a huge scam which supports the advertising industry but not much else. Who 'proves' that advertising works - mostly the advertising companies!

Reply to
Chris Green

Descriptions a little odd.... NEW FAKE DOG HUMAN POO .

anyway I was pissed off when they stoped selling dehydrated water !

Reply to
whisky-dave