Scewfix - Jerry Cans

A friend of mine slightly knew the inventor of the Jerry can, who was quite amused by the name, which BTW, pre-dates the war.

On the contrary, a huge number were reused. They were an ideal source of metal for dummy railway tracks across the desert to a false railhead, which was attacked by the Germans on several ocasions. The camouflage officer responsible noted that he could have done with more, as shortage of materials meant that he had to slowly reduce the scale to 2/3 size.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The limit for petrol storage is two 10 litre metal cans, or two five litre plastic cans. However, there are plenty of liquids besides petrol that you can store in Jerry cans.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

I think you're confusing the terms re-used and re-cycled... :) I meant 're-used' as 'for their intended purpose'; having learnt that matter can not be destroyed or created ... ' the cans coud be recycled for a different usage.

But not for the carriage of water .... :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Recycling involves reducing an item to its individual raw materials, then using those to manufacture something different. That was not done, so they were reused, albeit not for their original purpose.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

They're for diesel. Halfrauds sometimes sell the same things with a big label saying as such.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

What about "jerrybuilt", then? Does this imply that German civil engineers are less than diligent?

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

The message from Zog The Undeniable contains these words:

Talking of gloryfying things...

Guy King

If you'd worked on a German building site recently, then yes.

Reply to
Duncanwood

It might be but when I asked a traffic officer at my local police station on the legality of carrying two 22 litre jerry cans in my boot or on a vehicle trailer they said no problem. Of course I now know it's illegal but I've still got a note on file of the date and number of the officer that gave me the duff information :)

A couple of times a year I have four or five 22 litre jerry cans of petrol in my boot. If the car needs filling up at the same time I can't fill them all in one transaction as the pump cuts out at 100 litres :-)

Reply to
Matt

Where's a good source for reliable 5 litre *metal* cans at the right price?

The problem with the plastic containers is really the spouts, which don't connect properly, so an alternative question might be: where can I buy a plastic container with a good-quality spout?

Reply to
Ian White

snip

Soo .... he'd have been your cell-mate? :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

"nightjar .uk.com>"

In the paragraph above .... delete word 'involves' and substitute 'may involve'.

Please note; in this post the words have been reused although many argue that the electrons may have been recycled.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Just put the nozzel back in the rest, and lift it out again. The smile sweetly at the cashier, they'll probably re-enable the pump... I've had this, admittedly on the time out when filling a jerry can and car with diesel. Poxy pumps are so slow...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Zog The Undeniable saying something like:

Jericho, walls of, demolition contractors, for the use of.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon