Scales

Looking for some new scales to weigh to at least 5mg accuracy, preferably half that. Ebay lists plenty of cheap Chinese 10mg resolution 200g scales, but IME they're only good to 100mg. Ebay provides no way to filter results by accuracy, or even by max weight. Anyone know of anything that would be usable? Cheap is good for this one.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

0.1g increments on the smaller pad. I've got these for my kitchen; had them for a few years and they are nice and reliable.
Reply to
Tim Watts

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

May not help you but I have two ex market stall greengrocery scales. Digital display and a few kg capacity.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

0.1g is way off 5mg!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Cheap and accurate to 5mg on up to 100g are pretty much opposites.

You have to decide what you need and at what maximum weight capacity. Various laboratory scales suppliers will sell you kit capable of doing this job once calibrated in position using a set of reference weights.

Expecting to do it with a cheapo thing plonked on a desk and not levelled or calibrated is very optimistic. The more expensive ones will allow you to count small items which I guess may be what you want to do.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Martin Brown brought next idea :

I bought a cheap Chinese set with that range, along with a set of reference weights to check them. They were spot on throughout the full range, but maybe I was lucky?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd have thought for that accuracy guaranteed you would be looking at lab equipment and calibration every six months. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sorry - misread as 5g!

Reply to
Tim Watts

For anything not critical, I buy those cheapo Chinese ones branded "Diamond" - can't beat 'em for the price (typically about 10 quid) get the set with the tweezers and two calibration weights; you'll be pleasantly surprised (I was!).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Just how many drug dealers have we got here?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Seems nearly everyone has misread or misunderstood the OP so far. What drugs get sold in as little as 5mg anyway?

Amazon seems ore productive than ebay for this. £10.55:

doesn't quite meet spec, but I realised I can work around that. Going up to 2mg accuracy gets spendy.

Adam might prefer this one:

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sorry but "cheap" and "accurate" are opposing drivers.

At the risk of being nosey, *what* are you weighing ? Medicines ? If so I'd rather err on the side of accuracy.

Titrating below 1mcg for one of SWMBO meds was impossible. In the end we discovered a paediatric liquid form - far easier to work with.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Andy Burns presented the following explanation :

They can be bought for other purposes :-)

I bought them with in mind, to mix my own vaping liquid by weight rather than volume.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

so they are for drugs.

Reply to
invalid
<snipped>

100ug of LSD is pretty potent. Of course, it's not sold like that. Never did me any fishkettle.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

The only scales that are that accurate and remain so are the old fashioned "balance" scales. ie,with a box full of weights. Car boot sale. Or antique shop these days.

Reply to
harry

1mg is even morse so :-)

Howver I take several drugs these days in sub 1mg doses

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 19:09 18 Dec 2018, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Are you sure you're being realistic?

Cheap Chinese scales are good value but far less accurate than they claim. A decent OIML CLASS M1 test weight alone is going to break your budget and that tests to slightly less accuracy than you want.

Pamela

0.1mg is way outside of the capability I'm looking for.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've never seen any balance scales that could weigh down to 2mg at a boot sale, charity shop etc etc. Kitchen scales, plenty.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr