Saw horse for use with chain saw

The attraction of the Makita one is that it clamps the log at one end then suspends it over the 'foot' which stops the whole thing toppling over. You then make multiple cuts along the log (just as if it was still attached to the tree) and the log falls away from the saw instead of potentially pinching it. It looks as though it may handle odd shapes well, also. Best price so far including delivery is £66.99 which may be justified for something which folds away neatly and will last for many years.

Noted from many responses that making up a '3 X' trestle from wood is probably better than buying one.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

See what you mean - looking again it seems to rely on the weight of the log to brace it against the top clamp so that must limit you on the final cut.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Unfortunately I don't have the space for a fixed installation like this - otherwise a large bandsaw or similar could do.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I've never really understood how saw horses are supposed to work, they seem fundamentally unstable and hence unsafe to me for use with a chainsaw.

I construct a solid 'table' (of large stumps, logs, whatever), if it's not safe for the saw to hit the table surface then cover with a sheet of old ply, chipboard or whatever. Then along the front a series of vertical posts are fixed to the 'table' with gaps in between through which you can saw logs placed on the table. Job done!

The posts along the front are either solidly secured to the table (which is heavy enough to be essentially immovable) or they are driven into the ground, or both. Since they are vertical there's no chance of the log rolling out (as it can on a saw horse) and since the log is supported along most of its length it doesn't fall as you saw and pinch the chainsaw bar.

Reply to
tinnews

I have an electric Makita (the one with the motor 'lengthwise') and it's excellent, I've really never felt the need for a petrol one as well.

Reply to
tinnews

I merely followed *your* link filthy old scum - buy it now was =A3229....

I see it now has 1 bid on it so the BIN has gone - mmmm let's see what it goes for shall we children?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K