Cordless chainsaws

Not something I would usually consider. I do a bit of clearing of local bridleways (which I both walk and ride). Usually a secateurs and/or a lopper is sufficient, but there's a lot of 20 - 30 mm stuff this year. I wondered whether something like this

be more convenient than the usual pruning saw.

Anyone got any experience? Obviously I'm not expecting a lot of "cuts" but this is something I could carry when walking the dogs and just do some ad hoc trimming as required. I'm not very keen on NiCad though.

Reply to
newshound

I've had funny looks just taking secateurs to brambles and hedges that end up poking out into cyclepaths, let alone going "armed" with a chainsaw!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Where is the post recommending an angle grinder?

Reply to
Moonraker

I have a cheapo (as in B&Q 'Performance Power') cordless chainsaw, it's OK'ish but can only cut a few branches before needing recharging. Anywhere that I can get mains power I use my mains electric chainsaw and I tend to use the Ryobi petrol 'pruner' if too far from mains. However for the odd one (or two) off the cordless saw is useful.

Reply to
tinnews

Sorry, just seen the thread - so this is the post - but the angle grinder must be cordless

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

> might be more convenient than the usual pruning saw.

I do something quite similar but on private ground and use a machete type gadget. Works well but may be considered somewhat offensive by the powers that be. Probably not anymore so than a chainsaw.. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Anyone has the right to remove obstructions on a public right of way.

Reply to
newshound

>>> might be more convenient than the usual pruning saw.

Good for heavily obstructed paths; the areas I'm thinking of are basically clear, but branches across them "drop" as they get longer and heavier until they become an obstacle, especially on horseback.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks, it's the battery life which was bothering me

Reply to
newshound

problem is likely to be a crap slow charger...

"B&Q peformance power" really needs a "lacking" and an "and" in there somewhere. Their cordless stuff is also IME woeful.

Reply to
John Rumm

No idea about the chainsaw, but I've heard good things about the alligator loppers

expensive mind...

Never used them myself. YMMV etc etc No idea on battery life, expect charger to be biggest problem on these cheaper ones.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Thanks, worth knowing ... and certainly better than a poke in the eye with a bramble.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's quite a bit heavier than the small chainsaws though (4 Kg cf 2.5)

Reply to
newshound

Not something I would usually consider. I do a bit of clearing of local bridleways (which I both walk and ride). Usually a secateurs and/or a lopper is sufficient, but there's a lot of 20 - 30 mm stuff this year. I wondered whether something like this

be more convenient than the usual pruning saw.

Anyone got any experience? Obviously I'm not expecting a lot of "cuts" but this is something I could carry when walking the dogs and just do some ad hoc trimming as required. I'm not very keen on NiCad though.

You don't need *anything* powered at all.... Have a look at eBay item

250794999298

Given that you may be out riding at the time this gadget fits neatly into a pocket, needs no power, is piss easy to use and will make virtually no noise. I ride also, and this item will do almost all of what you need....

Reply to
Londonman

Good point, I'd been meaning to investigate those for ages as well. Now ordered one!

Also need new secateurs; broke the spring while using it today on horseback. (I use Rollcut type, no pointy ends)

Reply to
newshound

A "Felco folding saw" might be worth a look. Cuts effortlessly. Nonelectric, and very unobtrusive as it folds and fits in a pocket. Not cheap, but good.

Going about with a chainsaw might be a better way to ensure solitude in your walks, though.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer